Re: no internet connection with Fedora16

On Wed, Jan 11, 2012 at 01:48:47PM +0000, Timothy Murphy wrote:

> >> Thanks v. much for that.
> >>
> >> But why does Firefox do this?
> >> It shows a surprising lack of common sense.
> >>
> >> I put it on a par with NetworkManager's habit of editing /etc/resolv.conf
> >> and removing the nameservers mentioned there if it cannot see them.
> >
> > Probably because NetworkManager has capabilities for setting static
> > wired connections, and for setting hands-off on DNS entries.  The
> > Firefox maintainers have chosen to assume that most users are not
> > going to mess with the innards of networking scripts, and that letting
> > NM manage connections is the most prudent move if you have to make one
> > choice for everyone.  People who like to mess with innards will
> > undoubtedly figure out how to change configurations.  The number of
> > users who would be baffled by delays in browsing when their connection
> > drops likely far outnumbers those who would be stymied by Offline Mode
> > in this case.
>
> Why not just tell the user the connection has dropped,
> if that is the situation?

Your OS does that already.  I just dropped my wired connection a few
moments ago to test this was correct.  Firefox doesn't know whether
it's on purpose or accident, so I imagine the developers didn't want
to make an incorrect assumption.  After all, you can still browse
against your cache if needed, which is quite useful in a number of
cases.

> You seem to be saying that the user is supposed to deduce this
> from the fact that Firefox has changed to Offline mode.
> That seems crazy to me.
> Even IE has more sense than that.

Not what I'm suggesting.  Just saying your OS already tells you your
connection has dropped, and Firefox is capable of reacting to that.
But this is a Firefox design question, it sounds like.  I'm not a
Firefox developer so I can't speak for them.