Re: ifcfg-em1 ?

On 01/08/2012 09:51 PM, Ed Greshko wrote:
On 01/09/2012 10:41 AM, Jeffrey Ross wrote:
I was in the process of working on a F16 system (upgraded from a F15
system) and had moved it to a new network temporarily and had adjusted
the /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-em1 file from the console
prior to shutting down the system so that it would be all set with the
new address, gateway etc when it was restarted.

upon completion of the work I modified the ifcfg-em1 with the
new/final IP address information prior to the shutdown.  I was doing
this across a network (ssh) session and as soon as I saved the file I
lost all connectivity to the machine.  I logged into the console and
found no IP address information on the em1 interface, didn't think too
much of it since it needed to be restarted anyway and moved it to it
final network location.

After it was in place I noticed that I needed to correct the entries
for DNS to point to itself since it is running a nameserver, no other
changes were made to the file except to adjust "DNS1=..." saved the
file and again I loose network connectivity with no IP information on
the em1 interface.

Question is, what is monitoring this file that causes a loss of
connectivity like this?  I am looking to simply have a static entry on
the interface and my simple ifcfg-em1 file is as follows:

Thanks,Jeff

DEVICE=em1
HWADDR=00:E0:81:34:85:C2
NM_CONTROLLED=no
ONBOOT=yes
TYPE=Ethernet
USERCTL=no
#
BOOTPROTO=none
NETMASK=255.255.255.240
IPADDR=192.168.10.34
PREFIX=28
DOMAIN=domain.org
NAME="System em1"
IPV6INIT=yes
NM_CONTROLLED=no
GATEWAY=192.168.10.33
DNS1=192.168.10.34
MTU=1500
PEERDNS=yes

You have NM_CONTROLLED=no.  So, assuming you are not using Network
Manager, have you disabled NetworkManager.service and enabled
network.service?

That very well may have been it, I just issued the following:

[root@host etc]# chkconfig network on
[root@host etc]# chkconfig NetworkManager off
Note: Forwarding request to 'systemctl disable NetworkManager.service'.
rm '/etc/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants/NetworkManager.service'
rm '/etc/systemd/system/dbus-org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.service'
[root@host etc]# service NetworkManager stop
Redirecting to /bin/systemctl  stop NetworkManager.service
[root@host etc]#
[root@host etc]#
[root@host etc]# service network start
Starting network (via systemctl):                          [  OK  ]
[root@host etc]#

since I don't feel like taking ride over to the datacenter I'm going to leave the ifcfg-em1 file alone until I have time to test it.

Thanks!
Jeff