Re: Neal Becker Software Package..?

On 01/07/2012 04:29 PM, Joe Zeff wrote:

No, it's you who missed the point: if you only use your own computer to
check the various fora, complaining about needing to log on every time
becomes a straw man.  There may be other reasons not to use them, but
unless you're using public computers, the need to log on isn't one of them.

no Joe, you're not getting my point, which Reindl is commenting on - you still have to go to the fora, whether it's auto-logon or not is NOT the issue

using keystroke shortcuts in mail clients, I can navigate through hundreds of messages several times a day, in probably less than minutes, depending on how many I choose to respond to, in data that is local, on my machine - the HTML interfaces of fora introduce lots of headroom requirements, inclusive of having to scroll through page after page, putting up with all sorts of animated gifs, flash, and other such nonsense

Also I get these 1000+ messages per day on at least seven different machines, and for my workflow, that's important, so time is everything, having archives of lists I care about locally is also everything, and more, and more - and no, IMAP doesn't work for me, because I'm often in situations where connectivity is broken for one reason or another, and having this stuff locally is important

workflows can be highly dedicated, specific, and unique - one size doesn't fit all

--
Claude Jones
Brunswick, MD, USA