Re: BIOS doesn't see hard drive with Fedora 16, may it be an install issue?

On Fri, Dec 23, 2011 at 10:04 AM, M. Fioretti <mfioretti@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> we just installed Fedora 16 x86_64 KDE spin on an Intel DH61CR board,
> from the live CD. New computer, no other OS is installed.
>
> The live CD worked fine, no problem with the installation. However,
> now
>
> 1) if booting from the network is enabled, the motherboard ONLY tries to
>  boot from the network, forever
>
> 2) if booting from network is disabled, I just get this error message:
>
>  "a bootable device has not been detected"
>
> 3) if I press F10 at boot I get a PARTIAL BIOS menu. By partial I mean
>  that I ONLY see a screen that asks me to change boot priority among:
>
>  detected hard drive (the one on which we had just installed F16)
>  detected dvd/cd drive
>  network
>
>  if I select the hard drive the system boots into Fedora 16 WITHOUT
>  ANY TROUBLE AT ALL. But since in that menu there is NO entry as
>  usual saying "press F9 or F10 to save settings" or similar (that's
>  why I said "partial bios menu") that choice is not saved
>
> 4) if I press F2 at boot I do get the complete boot menu, but no
>  matter what I select as priority order, or what I disable, in the
>  BOOT screen, I am back at point 1 or 2 above
>
> I am already investigating on the BIOS side, ie checking the docs and
> so on. My question here is only if there may be anything in how F16
> was installed (using or not the MBR for grub, choices of partitions
> etc) that may cause a problem like this, and if yes how to fix it.
>
> of course, any comment and help is appreciated, even if not specific
> to Fedora.

Fedora 16 switched to using GPT partition tables on new disks, and
some BIOSes refuse to boot GPT-labeled disks.

Try running another install, adding "nogpt" to the kernel command
line.  Make sure you completely erase the entire disk and recreate a
partition layout during the installation process.

If this is your problem, Fedora should boot fine.  If not, the other
posters are likely correct that it's a hardware issue.

-T.C.