Re: Big email mess ! How do I clean it up ? (Evolution, Thunderbird, maildir, mbox)

On 2011/12/15 06:20, Genes MailLists wrote:
On Wed, 2011-12-14 at 23:56 -0700, linux guy wrote:
On Wed, Dec 14, 2011 at 11:46 PM, Scott Doty<scott@xxxxxxxxx>  wrote:

And if that doesn't work, you could just use mutt -- it will read the
maildirs and can save them as mboxes. :)

Where does the "new" evolution keep them ?

The default for local mail is maildirs. It used to be mboxes. You don't
say what version of Evolution you're using. Earlier versions had some
maildir support but it may have been buggy.

   One suggestion - never ever use local storage with any mail client.

   I recommend setting up a local imap server (dovecot works well) and
use that for -all- local storage for your mail. This is a really easy
thing to do.

   Once you do that, then you are now mail client independent - and can
switch clients without any issues about how mail is stored.

Just as a warning....
Experience suggests some mail clients can build a nested folder structure
with contents in the branch nodes as well as the end nodes and some cannot.
That suggests a structure such as I keep:
===8<---
Linux           Full of this list's mail
   Savers       Contains items worth saving including subscription emails.
===8<---
At least one client I tried to use with IMAP (as part of spamassassin
training) would not deal with that folder nesting. "Linux" would have
only been a node name not a mailbox of its own.

The suggestion to use Dovecot to serve it up has merit. Once the old
stuff is pulled into T'bird and safely stowed dovecot can be switched
over to mbox easily enough. That makes my habit of backing up email
easy. I leave mail on the server. Each month I archive the T'bird mail
and the mail spool. That makes it easy to filter the email with
fetchmail to grab the email, procmail to prefilter it and feed it to
spamassassin, spamc to feed it back to procmail which delivers it to
the spool. That way when I am reading email I don't have to sit around
while SpamAssassin filters the email as Thunderbird fetches it. Dovecot
sits on the mail spool and responds quite properly, quickly, and accurately
to T'bird's requests.

{^_^}