Re: Is Fedora good for Java developers?

Hi,

> I want to ask if Fedora is good for me a Java developer? I will be working with Java EE technologies and possibly developing Eclipse plugins also.

As a Java developer I like Fedora because of the many java tools and libraries that are part of the distribution. Fedora Eclipse does not include the Java EE plugins but I had no problem enabling Eclipse own update center and installing additional plugins from there, but I'd prefer to have then as part of Fedora itself so I did not get many duplicated jars. Each Fedora release brings the current Eclipse IDE for Java developers and aditional goods. Debian does not include so many Java libraries and tools as Fedora.

I don't see stability as a problem comparing to Debian, but it depends on your hardware. Newer hardware gets supported by Fedora before it is by Debian. From time to time a proprietary software (like skype) has trouble with Fedora because of lbrary updates, such as when Fedora switched to PulseAudio, but you can avoid that by not updating to the latest Fedora release. Fedora also brings newer PostgreSQL and other software compared do Debian.

For me access to new Features outweights the problems those features sometimes cause.

[]s, Fernando Lozano