Re: fedora equivalent of recovery disk ... additional question

On 12/12/2011 9:15 PM, Michael D. Setzer II wrote:
On 12 Dec 2011 at 19:41, Paul Allen Newell wrote:

Date sent:      	Mon, 12 Dec 2011 19:41:21 -0800
From:           	Paul Allen Newell<pnewell@xxxxxxxxxx>
To:             	Community support for Fedora users
<users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
	"Newell, Paul"<pnewell@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject:        	Re: fedora equivalent of recovery disk ...
additional question

On 12/12/2011 9:11 AM, g wrote:
On 12/12/2011 02:27 PM, Michael D. Setzer II wrote:
<>

hello michael,

i am glad you follow this list.

As the current maintainer of G4L since about 2004, I'm not sure
which version is included with partedmagic, but the latest release
version on sourceforge has newer version of udpcast and has
fsarchiver that does file level backups of many file systems. It
also has lvm support..
-=-

ok. so what is ability to span dvd's to allow backup/clone of an hdd
that is larger than 4 gb?

thank you.

Michael:

Given that you are the maintainer of this package, I want to ask
whether G4L is, in your opinion, a good option. As my prior email
stated, I am inclined to try the Clonezilla approach, but when I saw
your email that you were maintaining the package that might work for
me, I felt that was worth asking you.

My current thinking is 32GB stick and using Clonezilla by itself
(though I have asked if I could run it through partedmagic)

G4L does images of disk and/or partitions using dd in the raw
mode with compression using various options. lzop is the default
with the best combination of speed and size. It does also include
ntfsclone for file level backup of ntfs partitions, and fsarchiver that
does file level backups as well, and both also use compression.
Images can be stored on ftp server or local devices or sshfs or nfs
or cifs, but not looked at doing so to cds or dvds for various
reasons. Have used usb disks with no problem, and use the
compression tool test option to confirm that images are good.

Mostly, it is designed to run from the cd image, though it can be
added to the grub menu as a boot option to run in ram by copying
the kernel and ramdisk.lzma file to the boot directory.

(Grub option to just load G4L with default kernel 3.0.4 from G4L
0.39)

title G4L
	kernel /bz3x1.4 ramdisk_size=65536 root=/dev/ram0
telnetd=yes
	initrd /ramdisk.lzma

(An option that I use in my classroom to restore the XP partition of
machines from an image stored on /dev/sda6 that takes about 12
minutes)

title G4L Restore XP
	kernel /bz3x1.4 ramdisk_size=65536 root=/dev/ram0
telnetd=yes run="mount /dev/sda6 /mnt/local&&  cd /mnt/local&&
./reimagexp "
	initrd /ramdisk.lzma

It can also be transferred to a flash from the cd image, and use
syslinux to make the flash bootable. Can also run from grub4dos
boot options as well.

Just uses a text screen with dialog gui, and uses kernels built
from kernel.org source. Busybox is used for many of the support
programs, but uses Fedora programs and files for some, and
everything is build on my Fedora machines.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts,
Paul

   Guam Community College  Computer Center
   mailto:mikes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
   mailto:msetzerii@xxxxxxxxx
   http://www.guam.net/home/mikes
   Guam - Where America's Day Begins
   G4L Disk Imaging Project maintainer
   http://sourceforge.net/projects/g4l/

Number of Seti Units Returned:  19,471
(Total Hours: 287,489)

BOINC@HOME CREDITS
SETI        11549002.018866   |   EINSTEIN     6989398.709851
ROSETTA      4026776.754837   |   ABC          9769346.053113

Michael:

Appreciate the reply but I have to admit I don't understand enough from what you are saying to tell if this is a good option for me to pursue. Or even how to use it. I "think" you are trying to answer my question, but I sense that I would never figure out how to use it.

Given that all I want is to make an image of the current hard drive that I can copy back onto the hard drive as a "recovery", the two examples you provided are beyond my level of understanding and that sounds like a path I don't want to take, even if g4l can do more than clonezilla (which I sense from the "sanity check" mentioned in the thread is going to hold my hand a bit more).

I apologize for going "huh?", but I've never tried to advertise myself as anything more than a "slightly more dangerous than newbie" when it comes to sysAdmin stuff.

Thanks for understanding,
Paul