Re: [ds6] Stateless IPv6 Configuration

Thanks for clearing that up for me. One last question: I noticed that when left on autoconfig my windows 7 clients automatically add dns addresses fec0:0:0:ffff::1 to 3. I'm assuming these are anycast addresses for auto dns config? So if I add the addresses to my servers I'm set? These (auto dns config) behaviour has not occurred with my linux (Fedora16) clients. How can I enable this feature?

Thanks again
------Original Message------
From: Peter Bieringer
To: nullv@xxxxxxx
Cc: ds6@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [ds6] Stateless IPv6 Configuration
Sent: Dec 10, 2011 7:10 PM

Hi,

Am 10.12.2011 17:48, schrieb nullv@xxxxxxx:
> Hi,
>
> I'm kinda new to IPv6 and have a few questions on setting it up. I'm using fedora 15 with kernel 2.6.41.1&  initscripts 9.30.1.
> I've set up an IPv6 tunnel on sit1 and I have radvd broadcasting a prefix on em1. My clients are able to generate global IPv6 addresses and ping&  browse other sites on the internet. However, I noticed that I have to enter DNS servers manually. Is there a way to set up dns servers for clients automatically without using DHCPv6? I know there are extensions that support rDNS servers&  DNS search domains via the stateless protocol but is there a way I can also send DNS server info?

I'm not aware of any user space client for Linux except DHCPv6, which is
able to set DNS servers in /etc/resolv.conf.

Kernel itself can't modify such files.

> And also, I noticed that while the clients are generating properly prefixed global addresses, the gateway address (2001:...) is still a link-local address (fe80:...). Although things seem to be working will that be a problem for other applications or services?

No, IPv6 can handle link local addresses proper for default gateway
(that's btw. more an advantage than an issue).

> Lastly, before (in IPv4) I had been using iptables NAT rules to filter client access to the internet. Can anyone confirm that in IPv6 I can use the ip6tables FORWARD chain for similar purposes? My research on it seems to confirm this but I just want someone else whi has had real world experience with this.

Yes, please put your IPv6 related firewall rules into the IPv6
forwarding chain (you should have similar rules for IPv4 in the IPv4
forwarding rule, regardless of NAT for IPv4).

Regards,
	Peter