Re: F16 - opening more terminal sessions

Robert Moskowitz writes:

> Step 2: Run it. Open the "Desktop tab". Turn on the "Have file manager
> handle the desktop" switch (that is, after you figure out which one of
> the two confusing icons means that the switch is on, and which one
> means it off).
>
> Step 3: For the last time, open a terminal window the Gnome 3 way, and
> execute:
>
> cp /usr/share/applications/gnome-terminal.desktop $HOME/Desktop
>

> The end: you'll now have a terminal icon on your desktop. Each time
> you double-click on it, you'll get a new terminal window.

Where on the desktop?  If I select Activities, I do not see it in the
list.  Do I have to restart X (logout)?  Or reboot?

It should be displayed on the desktop. $HOME/Desktop should be a directory, and that's where you've copied the icon.

If you had to mkdir-it, you might need to log out and log back in, but enabling that tweak should immediately show all your desktop icons. It might also be hiding behind a window. Close all windows, and look for a terminal icon. "Have file manager handle the desktop" should restore any and all desktop icons that you had on your Gnome 2 desktop. It should not require you to log out.

Speaking of reboot, I can't find reboot/poweroff!  So far I have SUed to
do these....

The Gnome 3 usability experts want you to log out, then select "poweroff" from the system login screen. There's an icon on the system login screen for that. Somewhere. In some corner. Everyone can see that this is a more productive way to initiate a shutdown, of course, than having the option in a prominent menu somewhere on your main logged-in desktop.

Well, you can install "gnome-shell-extension-alternative-status-menu", logout and log back in. That should add the option to poweroff to the user menu in the top-right corner.