Re: Unable to get into X

On Thursday 08 December 2011 14:40:52 Joe Zeff wrote:
> On 12/08/2011 02:05 PM, Ian Malone wrote:
> > I guess you'd give it multi-user.target or runlevel3.target if you
> > wanted to boot it as a one-off. Also the old runlevel numbers still
> > work; you can just add '3' to the kernel arguments and get runlevel 3.
>
> We'll soon know for sure.  However, once it's up what logs to I need to
> examine/preserve/upload to find out what's happening?  Should I try
> removing the kmod/akmod drivers and seeing if nouveau works?  (I think
> I've got it blacklisted on the kernel line right now, but that's easy
> enough to correct.)  I don't want to mangle any info that might be
> needed later, if possible, so please let me know what you think I'll need.

Based on the symptoms you are experiencing, I'd hypothesize the following
scenario:

* the system ordinarily boots in runlevel 5
* the X server starts up successfully, as per the log file
* systemd starts up GDM
* GDM fails (for whatever reason)
* systemd sees that GDM is not running, and restarts it
* GDM fails again
* and so on, until manual restart.

This scenario assumes that there are no hardware malfunctions and that the
nVidia driver is working correctly. All this is plausibly true, based on the
Xorg log which reports that both the graphics card and driver are working as
expected.

In order to debug the above faulty-GDM scenario, try the following:

* boot into runlevel 3 and login (not as root)
* startx
// this should start X and then GDM, which should fail only once and put you
back into the terminal, hopefully with an error message from GDM or whatever
other thing that has failed //
* post the output of that error message, if any
* give us a link to the snapshot of /var/log/messages
* give us a link to the output of dmesg
* keep booting in runlevel 3 until the system is fixed --- at least the machine
will be running in a sane state.

If you find out that GDM is the culprit, you may:

* boot into runlevel 3
* yum install kdm
* edit /etc/sysconfig/desktop so that it contains:

DISPLAYMANAGER="KDE"

// If the file /ets/sysconfig/desktop doesn't exist, create it //
* startx
* report if that works.

Additionally, once you are in runlevel 3, it might be a good idea to do a
"yum update", just to cover all bases.

Report back on what happens. ;-)

HTH, :-)
Marko