Re: Major upgrade failure -> people maintain > 1 computer

Am 07.12.2011 16:50, schrieb Marko Vojinovic:
> On Wednesday 07 December 2011 14:39:45 Reindl Harald wrote:
>> Am 07.12.2011 07:50, schrieb Craig White:
>>> out of curiosity, what is the requirement for having uidNumbers starting
>>> at 500 instead of 1000?
>>
>> because people usually migrate their whole systems from one hardware
>> to the next and if you have a lot of users and existing files
>> with permissions it is unuseable to have "freddy" 3 times with
>> uid 500 and 1 time with uid 1000
>>
>> migrate whole system = dd the disk to the next hardware
>> migrate whole system = install F9 and stay currently with F15
>>
>> did you ever work in an environment with a lot of servers and
>> users and used rsync / nfs?
>
> Why would you even consider using Fedora in such an environment? If you have a
> server farm with shared users and use rsync/nfs/whatever, and you have the
> whole thing (or a part of it) running on Fedora, then you'd better be prepared
> to do some nontrivial amount of work when upgrading the Fedora machines.

becuase it works perfectly if you know hat you are doing
because using stoneold software like RHEL is not a option here

> And yes, that's exactly what I mean --- *work* --- create and execute a script
> to chown across all disks on all machines, update/modify all /etc/passwd and
> /etc/group to reflect the UID+500 change on all systems

for exactly what reason?
because anybody thought it has to be changed?

> It will require some downtime

what is this? downtime?

this weekend i did a upgrade from F14 to F15 on all our servers
and the downtime was exactly 30 seconds for the reboot and the
upgrade per machine takes between 5 and 7 minutes (maximum stripped
down installations on each server and good hardware)

before you try to tell me that this is impossible try to understand
that there are people which really know what they are doing which
are preparing their upgrades, have local cache-repos, local repos filled
with a local build-ebironment and overriding each fedora-package if there
is one single reason (as example remove this uneccaptable restarts of
services while yum-update)

> rebooting of all servers (maybe  simultaneously)

hopefully you are not responsible for production environment

> a couple of days to setup-test-execute, and a couple of weeks
> to be around cleaning up anything that your scripts failed to handle properly.
> That's the job description of a "computer administrator"

my job as administrator is to make updares as less invasive as possible
and since the will be not often new setups in my lifetime because in a full
virztualized environment you have a goldenmaster and my physical setups
are going with dd/ssh from one hardware to the next the question is easy
what is less invasive than what you would doing