Re: Major upgrade failure

Joe Zeff writes:

On 12/06/2011 12:39 PM, JB wrote:
> I think you should download and burn F16 live-cd (XFCE I guess is safest for
> you) and start with a clean install.

Why?  Wouldn't it be even better to create a kickstart file so that all
of my installed programs come back and I can use my current /home
partition, then use the DVD to get everything at once?  (Naturally, I'd
leave Gnome out of the kickstart file so that I only get what's needed.)
  Granted, you may be right about the fresh start, but I can't see
bothering with a liveCD when I'd need to spend days, maybe, reinstalling
what I actually need.

Sometimes you just have to cut your losses. F16 turned out to be one of "those" releases.

Don't mean to toot my horn, but even myself, who usually has pretty good luck salvaging bricked upgrades, had to admin defeat with one of my patients, this time, nuke it from high orbit, and reinstall it, after the F16 upgrade made an utter mash of it.

Wasted an entire friggin weekend on that one machine, and I'm still pissed about it.

Just declare defeat, pull your files off, and reinstall. And, what Alan said: use native partitions, and avoid LVM like the plague. If you have two hard drives, carve them into RAID-1 twins. Counter-intuitively, this actually makes it easier to avoid reinstalling, the next time someone proclaims that /boot, or the MBR, isn't big enough any more (but only as long as LVM is nowhere to be seen).