Re: GNOME 2 on Fedora 15

On Tue, Aug 30, 2011 at 7:02 PM, Steve Underwood <steveu@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I have FC15 on three machines with different hardware - different CPUs,
> different graphics hardware. As installed, all three were kinda OK.
> After recent updates all three now take about 5 seconds to change
> windows. A warning box popping up is a minimum 10s activity - 5 seconds
> to appear, and 5 to dismiss it. I find it hardware to believe I have
> three special case machines which all hit the same obscure bug. How can
> you call this a productive environment?

I don't see anything like this at all.  (I don't see bizarre jumping
windows either.)  Have you tried logging in as a new user to make sure
there's nothing in your config affecting things?   It definitely
sounds like a bug to chase down.

>> In my opinion, Fedora should be aimed at "power users"
>> not "newbies".

> Aiming a desktop at one group of users, rather than the general case, is
> a weird choice. Its like stating clearly that you wish to remain in
> obscurity, and never build the critical mass momentum to really get
> anywhere.

I'm talking about all Fedora users and developers, who should know
their way around Linux already.  Let the newbies run CentOS, and give
_them_ a stripped down version of GNOME 3 if that's what they prefer.
(However, I think even they should be offered a complete and visible
learning curve.)

> They broke the mouse, so the answer is more shortcuts? What about fixing
> what was broken as a better alternative?

I'm not talking about shortcuts to work around a mouse bug (missed
that part of the thread).  I'm talking about eliminating mouse use
completely.  I want to do everything from within emacs and its shells,
because it's so much faster than GUI-based machinations.  That said,
nice GUIs are fun, pretty, great for newbies, and they can provide a
nicely graduated learning curve, eventually getting out of the way
when done right.

Bugs should simply be fixed.

- jos

--
"Anybody who knows all about nothing knows everything" -- Leonard Susskind