Re: F14 locks up during graphical login into KDE

On Thu, 2011-08-25 at 10:47 -0600, linux guy wrote:
> Sounds very similar Mark.
>
> Any other info you can share ?  Video card ?  Acceleration settings ?

Nothing very much I can share at this time. I have a Dell Dimension E520
which had factory fitted Nvidia GeForce 7300. Other than install the
proprietary drivers (yeah me too...) I have done nothing special - no
acceleration (as far as I know).

> Is it possible to roll back the nvidia update via yum ?  (Please save
> the sermon on proprietary drivers for later...)

I tried booting into a previous kernel (which still had the relevant
kmod-nvidia driver installed) which had worked fine previously - no
joy...

> My system is fine during login.  It too starts to lock during the
> later stages of booting into the graphical session.  One in a while I
> can get a desktop up before it locks.

The thing with me is that I get the GDM login screen (does KDE have an
equivalent?) and log in to any of the users (I have 3 users set up on
this machine - me, wife, son) that *DON'T* have desktop effects enabled.
Now that I have managed to disable the compiz desktop effect for my own
user id, I can now log in to that account too. In other words - all is
fine unless I want to use desktop effects.

Perhaps you could try to set up a new user on the machine and see what
that gives?

I am a bit short of time at the moment, but I intend to file a bug
report; I also intend to try removing and re-installing the drivers. I
originally installed the specific driver for the kernel (as per this
guide: http://www.mjmwired.net/resources/mjm-fedora-nvidia.html), but
then found during one kernel update that the relevant nvidia driver was
not available. I then installed the akmod-nvidia package which builds
its own driver. I am wondering if there has been a problem with this, so
I am going to try a complete re-install of the nvidia stuff (probably
tomorrow if I get a chance).

If you have any suggestions please do share...

Thanks

Mark