Re: Totem and Mozplugger Firefox plugin deathmatch over audio/wav

g writes:

On 08/22/2011 08:19 PM, Sam Varshavchik wrote:
> g writes:
>
>> On 08/22/2011 02:09 PM, Sam Varshavchik wrote:
>>> I've got one x86_64 machine with Firefox, and one i386 machine. Both have
>>> totem-mozplugin and mozplugger installed.
>>>
>>> On both machines, about:plugin shows audio/wav MIME type being handled by
>>> both of them.
>>
>> not place to be looking.
>>
>> from menu bar; "edit > preferences > applications"
>
> That's what I said in my original post.
>
>> you should be able to take it from there.
>>
>> if not, have a look in bottom left corner. ;)
>
> And as I described, Firefox only shows one of the two, as an available
> handler for WAV files.

i read you post and am aware of what you said you had done. what i am not
aware of is if you followed what i meant by my last 2 statements.

so to be more direct, did you press [Help] button?

Yes. That open a Firefox help page. Which provides general instructions for using that dialog. I know how to use that dialog. The problem is that the dialog does not list all the available handlers that are installed, and there's absolutely nothing on that help page that explains why Firefox does not even offer totem, and/or mozplugger depending on the machine, as one of the available handlers for audio/wav content.

in addition just what is problem you are having?

I believe I explained it clearly: both totem and mozplugger plugins are installed, except that on one machine Firefox does not list totem as an available handler for audio/wav, and on the other machine totem is listed as one of the options for audio/wav content, but totem is not.

if getting music to play, have you tried enabling "mplayer".

The problem is not enabling one of the available choices. The problem is that the complete set of choices is not available in the first place.

I don't know how to explain this more clearly. Both totem and mozplugger are installed. Both are listed in about:plugins, as offering support for audio/wav, but when the rubber hits the road, on one machine Firefox refuses to list totem as a handler for audio/wav content, in preferences, where you select from the set of available applications that can support a given MIME content type; and on the other machine totem is listed, but mozplugger is not.

to bring this portion of your post back in to "play". [pun intended]

>> I note that both machines also have mplayer installed, and in both cases
>> mplayer is also offered as an alternative choice to either mozplugger or
>> totem, for audio/wav. I do not understand why mozplugger and totem are not
>> offered as choices simultaneously, and why it's one on one machine, and the
>> other on the other machine.

because that is way devs thought it should be, being that you have options
of "always ask" and "use other". if you select "use other", i believe that
will move 'other' into choices.

No. "Use other" opens a file dialog window, to explicitly select some external application to handle audio/wav.

as for choices in my firefox for 'wav audio', i see "movie player", aka,
"mplayer" and "totem".

That is the case on one machine, but not the other one. Both have totem installed.

in addition, just where did you get "mozplugger"? that is not a mozilla
offered add-on.

I'm fairly certain it is.

[mrsam@lc2440 ~]$ rpm -q -i mozplugger
Name        : mozplugger
Version     : 1.14.2
Release     : 1.fc15
Architecture: i686
Install Date: Sun 29 May 2011 09:46:08 PM EDT
Group       : Applications/Internet
Size        : 132676
License     : GPLv2+
Signature : RSA/SHA256, Fri 11 Feb 2011 03:35:45 PM EST, Key ID b4ebf579069c8460
Source RPM  : mozplugger-1.14.2-1.fc15.src.rpm
Build Date  : Wed 29 Sep 2010 06:23:06 AM EDT
Build Host  : x86-14.phx2.fedoraproject.org
Relocations : (not relocatable)
Packager    : Fedora Project
Vendor      : Fedora Project
URL         : http://mozplugger.mozdev.org/
Summary     : A generic mozilla plug-in
Description :
MozPlugger is a generic Mozilla plug-in that allows the use of standard Linux
programs as plug-ins for media types on the Internet.