Samba asking for authorization to browse suddenly

I think Samba's the culprit. Samba is set up in share mode on my mixed Win7 and Linux network. Up to some recent period, Windows boxes could see my Fedora shares and my Fedora box could get on the network and see the Windows shares - typically I use Dolphin and select Network\Samba Shares That brings up the "Workgroup" icon and clicking that would show the computers on the network.

Now, I get a UN/PW authorization dialog as soon as I click on "Workgroup", and nothing I enter works but just returns the dialog. I don't remember when it was last working, but, it's been a while since I tried to browse my Windows boxes.

I've checked the firewall settings to make sure they didn't get changed and tried turning off Selinux enforcing; the machine is Fedora 15 64-bit and is fully up to date. I tried installing Smb4k and when I scan the network using its interface, it just returns a blank screen...

I've looked at the system and samba logs - the only interesting I see there, in the Samba log, is messages like this: "Scheduled cleanup of brl and lock database after unclean shutdownz" - this happenned several times today it claims - then there follows a message saying it is running the cleanup, and that's followed by strings of messages like this "Could not find child 15456 -- ignoring"... I haven't hard rebooted the machine or anything like that, so I'm not sure what "unclean shutdown" is referring to...

Ideas?

--

Claude Jones

Brunswick, MD, USA