Gnome3 a discussion about submiting some Requests for Enhancement.

Hi;

I have posted similar comments on the Gnome user's list, but since I am
looking to share opinions (the more the merrier)  and not looking for
help, I don't think I am breaking any kind of netiquette.

I have been playing with Gnome3 for a day now, and once I got the full
realization through my thick head that everything bounces of the
'overview', Gnome3 became quite enjoyable to use.  There are some
proposed enhancements that I have, that I would like to share and
discuss.

1) I would like to have a right hand hot spot or screen edge so
that when the mouse cursor hovers over or near the right edge I get the
overview but with the full view of the workspaces on the right so that I
can just click on a new/different workspace.  There is a right edge hot
spot within the overview already that is used to show the full workspace
bar.  Couldn't the same action be within a workspace to get to the
overview.

2) It just strikes me that if you are working with the mouse, you should
be able to do all the basics with the mouse.  Similarly if you are
working with the keyboard, everything should be available by keystroke.

When you are using the keyboard, for example, using the 'Windows Logo'
key to get to the overview, you can move up and down the workspaces bar
using CTRL+ALT+up/down, but the workspace bar does not expand so that
you can see the images unless you use your mouse to hover over it.
Shouldn't the bar expand as soon as you make the the first CTRL+ALT
+up/down move?  Similarly, when using the CTRL+ALT+up/down to select a
new workspace, shouldn't <Enter> open that new workspace?  I know you
can get the same effect by using the Logo key, but <Enter> is such an
intuitive motion.

3) To make me content, at least for a short while, I would like to be
able to designate which workspace applications opened in in in the
startup file.  For example, I do a lot of writing.  When I login or
re-boot, I would like several programs to start.  I would like Firefox
to be open in one workspace, evolution and X-chat open in another
workspace, and all my writing tools -- OOo Writer, dictionary, thesaurus
and calculator available in another workspace.  I have fancier requests
for this but they can wait.

Just checking with the user's list to see if I am alone, or if I should
file a request for enhancement with Gnome.

--
Regards Bill
Fedora 15, Gnome 3.0.2