Re: Audio CDs not mounting

Tim:
>> There's a table of contents (TOC) at the start of the disc that says how
>> far in, and how far for, each track is located.

Darryl L. Pierce:
> Sounds like a file system to me. ;)
>
> (j/k - I know what you're saying)

You are half-right.  It does seem like one at first glance, but isn't
really.  A special handler can make it seem more like one.

Disregarding people's misunderstanding of loading an audio CD, thinking
it's been mounted.  If you'd found that you couldn't use a CD, when
you've previously been able to.  I'd think about:

Has the non-working disc ever worked before?  If you've never tried *it*
before, you may have one of those non-standard discs that are
deliberately designed not to work in computers.  Or, if you have used
that disc, successfully, before, then I'd be inclined to wonder about
damage to the discs, or clogged up or worn out drives.  Or, if no disc
will play, yet have before, whether you've muted an audio output.

It's not unknown for a drive to be able to read DVDs, but not CDs,
because part of the laser has failed, and it can no-longer do both
functions.  Or that certain burnt DVDs, or CDs, are easier to read than
others.

I'm still astounded that people will continue to buy the cheapest and
crappest blank discs, even after they've experienced failure after
failure.  A friend of mine did that for years, reckoning he was saving
money by not buying the tubes of discs that were about $2 more
expensive.  Yet, he was trashing a significant proportion of his discs,
wasting more money than if he'd bought the better ones.  Not to mention
the burning and verification time being wasted.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.