Re: strange behaviour of firefox

On Mon, 2011-08-08 at 23:23 +0200, François Patte wrote:
> I have been trying for many days to use swat with firefox, typing in the
> url form:
>
> http://localhost:901
>
> This failed because firefox try to open this url:
> www.localhost.com

Try http://localhost:901/ and maybe that'll circumvent Firefox's
unhelpful URL correction.  Also, don't just type localhost:901 into the
address gadget.

> Why? Is something wrong with my firefox config?

Dunno.  I've usually only seen that sort of thing if I just typed
localhost into the address gadget.  Usually, when it's prefixed and
suffixed with other characters (particually http://), the browser hasn't
tried to change it.

Open up your browser preferences, and look through all your options (I
always do that with new browsers, anyway, the defaults often have some
annoying settings).  The current Firefox may have it different than the
old version that I'm still using, and a quick look doesn't show it in my
preferences.  But, if I type in about:config into the address gadget,
then fixup into the filter gadget, I see the options I presume are used
with auto-correcting what you've typed in.

Why's it doing what it's doing?  It might be presuming that single-word
addresses need guessing at (though "localhost" is a well known one that
ought to be handled directly).  It might be that it's not getting a
response to localhost, so it tries a permutation.

You could try giving your computer a hostname and domain name, so that
browser requests have a dot in them, and that may stop Firefox playing
silly games.

This sort of malarkey used to be the first thing I turned off in some
browsers, because it really annoyed me.  But Firefox has been better,
lately, at not second guessing what I want.  And, I've used real domain
names with my network for a long time.

You could, also, try bookmarking the address (when you get it work).
Then Firefox's helper may just use what you type as a bookmark shortcut,
instead of adding things to it.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686