Re: html on Fedora -- looking for "where to go"

On Mon, 2011-08-08 at 09:42 +0200, Andras Simon wrote:
> w3c's html  validator is unlikely to signal problems with your
> javascript (and no validator could if the problem is not a syntactic
> one).

I'll go further and say that it won't.  It's not just unlikely.  It
looks at HTML not JavaScript.  It might check whether you've called
JavaScript in a syntactically correct way (e.g. that you've put your
OnMouse-whatever's into the right part of the HTML elements), but not
the functions that are in your JavaScript.

Their HTML validator checks HTML.  Their CSS validator checks CSS.  They
don't have a validator for JavaScript, and I've not heard of anyone that
does (which goes some way to explaining the huge amount of crap
JavaScript on the WWW that just doesn't work in my browser - because
there is no standard test for JavaScript, and authors just dream up
whatever seems to work on the browser they're playing with).  There are
standardised ECMA scripts, but browsers do their own thing with their
own scripting, and authors are still stuck playing that silly game of
having to code differently for specific browsers.

Additionally, if the original poster wants more eyes looking at their
problem, they really need to supply some samples of the problems.

As others have said, it's most likely a browser issue.  JavaScript
nearly always is (that, or an authoring error).  There are news groups
that deal with web authoring that might be your best bet, but put on
your flameproof suit, they'll be far more critical than I've been.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.