Re: Virtualization

On Wed, 2011-08-03 at 07:34 -0400, Jorge Fábregas wrote:
> On 08/02/2011 11:26 PM, Christopher A. Williams wrote:
> > No - not even close. The reality is that Oracle will not ask you to
> > change the hypervisor. Not in theory or in practice. Among other things,
> > that's illegal. There are already lawsuits underway in related actions
> > by Oracle, which I won't get into here. That would take too long and
> > Groklaw does a batter job anyway.
>
> I can't speculate (nor I think anyone can) on what they do in _reality_
> with each & everyone of their customers.  Nevertheless, their statements
> regarding this (which I already pointed you to) _are_ written on their
> website and _that's_ s a reality.

...Of which you took several of those statements out of context and
posted here in a misleading way. And that's _also_ a reality. Talk about
speculation. I have the full document, which includes all of the
statements.

Shall I place the quotes on this from Larry Ellison himself here? I have
those too. They actually show support for virtualizing Oracle on VMware
- to the point that he's on the record as calling it "cool".

And since I am in the business along these lines, I do have just a bit
of expertise here.

You must be working for Oracle and helping to spread their FUD. Full
disclosure, or shall I research you in business circles?

> > Certification in this regard is basically a marketing and FUD campaign
> > on the part of Oracle to scare you to buy their hypervisor product,
> > which is clearly inferior. Check out the latest Gartner Magic Quadrant
> > report on OVM if you need to see 3rd party assessments of that (despite
> > that I do not work for VMware either).
>
> Their intentions for doing this (only certifying their virt platform) is
> not in question here.  The intention is really obvious.  But then,
> again, that doesn't change what they've been explicitly about.

What Oracle is explicitly about is making money - and as much money as
they can get their hand on - just like most companies. That's never
changed.

> > We're now way off base from the original post. Besides, this is a Fedora
> > forum as opposed to a VMware or Oracle one. But You're going to be very
> > hard pressed to prove that, as a practical matter, you're better off
> > virtualizing Oracle databases on OVM as compared to VMware.
>
> I'll leave it here hoping that if anyone searches the mailing list for
> KVM|Oracle|VMware, they can find out what's the current Oracle policy
> regarding this.  Tha has been my intention; not telling what's better or
> not, what would happen or not; just the facts on their own website so
> anyone can decide prior to any installation.

Yet - you speculated on _exactly_ those things that you purport not to
have or now say you desire not to, and did so in ways that are totally
and completely in error. So, why not present _all_ of the facts before
you jump on this.

I suggest that if you want to know real issues, yes go to Oracle's
website. When you're done, also go to VMware's website where they have
full disclosure and guidelines for virtualizing Oracle for everyone to
see. They address these issues - and much more - explicitly and fully.

Chris

--

"Behind every double standard

--G. K. Chesterton