Re: Rdesktop - Machine hanging problem

> On 08/01/2011 06:44 AM, 夜神 岩男 wrote:
>
>> On 08/01/2011 08:02 PM, Rajender.M wrote:
>>
>>> Hello All,
>>>
>>> I installed Fedora core15 in our host machine which contains the rdesktop version1.6.0
>>> When i try to connect to the remote machine using rdesktop the machine hangs and we need to do a hard reboot every time. We tried to install the same version in another machine and same thing happened in that machine too.
>>> Since rdesktop is a normal user space application; such "cannot" hang the machine. So most likely the problem is with the Fedora15 os as with the Xorg server or may be any other reason.
>>> I dint find any body reporting the same problem in the web and i need to resolve this issue. So please can any one help me in this regard.
>>>
>> Try the same thing on a different window manager (as in not Gnome3,
>> which I suspect is what you were using at the time) and see if you get
>> the same results.
>>
> I run Gonme3 and rdesktop and have had problems.  In my
> case they are intermittent -- most of the time rdesktop
> connects and works fine.   But on several occasions in period
> of a couple months, the gnome3 desktop has locked up or
> gone into a weird state where I could change window focus
> with the mouse, but windows would not respond to any mouse
> or keyboard input.
>
> In one case all keyboard input was dead, in another I was
> able to cntl-alt-F4 to a command line console to kill Gnome-
> session.  In yet another I was able to log into the Windows
> machine directly, taking the session back from rdesktop,
> which caused Gnome3 to come back to life.
>
> I agree there seems to be a problem with rdesktop and Gnome3
> but because of its intermittent nature here, I have not been
> able to develop enough info for a useful bug report.

This is nothing to do with gnome3/window manager. We did test with plain
X and got the same system freeze. This is something to do with the low
level xlib calls (Xorg or video driver/kernel ). We also tested running
rdesktop from a different machine setting the DISPLAY to the machine in
problem, we faced the same issue. So this confirms the problem is with
the X.

Raj