Re: rc.local question/problem (partly solved w/ setenforce=0)

On 03Jul2011 19:00, Paul Allen Newell <pnewell@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
| > I expect it varies depending on what clamscan thinks is needs to scan
| > each time.
| > Do you run prelink? It hacks binaries about on a regular basis and may
| > be causing clamscan to be more active.
|
| If I am running prelink, I don't know it.
| Your "varies" comment makes
| sense and I am not paying too much attention to it right now

Try saying:

  rpm -q prelink

If it is installed (it is by default on RH) it has a daily crontab
entry; it used to trip our integrity checker regularly as binaries
changed. That said, I think it should only muck things about if libraries get
updated.

| > | The second question is why wouldn't selinux be defaulted to allow clamav
| > | given that's what Fedora seems to be suggesting/using?
| >
| > Maybe it is, if it runs from /etc/init.d or something. Is clamav a
| > fedora supplied package? If so, why is it run from rc.local instead of
| > via a conventional presupplied chkconfig-controlled start/stop script?
| >
| It isn't part of the default "fresh" install, so I have to yum install
| it after. [...]

It's still Fedora supplied if you don't need an extra repository to
obtain it.

| The choice of rc.local is mine as I want it to happen at least once per
| time I use this F14 computer and don't want to have to su to root and
| manually run each time.
|
| I've seen mention of chkconfig but know nothing about it ... and haven't
| been able to see any reason why rc.local isn't a reasonable choice for
| doing freshclam and clamscan

rc.local is only a problem because of the selinux difficulties you're
having.

Regarding chkconfig, it's a tool to control which start/stop scripts get
run at different run levels, and therefor at boot.

Try this:

  chkconfig --list

Does clamav show in the list?

A normal Fedora boot goes to runlevel 3 (text mode login) or 5 (GUI
login). So if you want clamav to run at boot, chkconfig should show it
as "on" for runlevels 3 and/or 5, usually both. Ths command:

  chkconfig --level 35 clamav on

would do this (presuming "clamav" to be the relevant name listed by
"chkconfig --list" above - adjust to suit).

of course, it would still be useful to figure out the best selinux
incantation required to allow rc.local invocation of clamav...

Cheers,
--
Cameron Simpson <cs@xxxxxxxxxx> DoD#743
http://www.cskk.ezoshosting.com/cs/

I thought back to other headaches from my past and sneered at their
ineffectiveness.        - Harry Harrison