Re: HD permissions stay put

On Sun, 2011-07-03 at 20:38 -0700, Paul Allen Newell wrote:
> On 7/3/2011 6:43 PM, 夜神 岩男 wrote:
> >
> > [...]
> >
> > Fedora doesn't care if you have a UID much
> > higher than 500, but Debian does care if your UID is lower than 1000 (in
> > fact, the man page for "useradd" on Fedora even says that 1000 is the
> > standard, Fedora just doesn't actually follow that).
> >

> [scratching head in bewilderment ...]
>
> This seems like at least a documentation bug as the headache of a change
> between versions sounds too grim
>
> You suggest using useradd with explicit number rather than default or
> the gui. How does one get around the initial user that the Fedora
> install packages needs created? Or does one create a scratch there, use
> useradd for a real user, and delete the scratch?

I think you are referring to the user that is created when firstboot is
flagged as true? In a GUI environment this is when you reboot the system
after an Anaconda install from a disk (it works a bit differently on a
PXE install or a minimal install) and it shows a welcome screen with a
prompt for a new user?

Creating that first user throught the firstboot dialogue isn't required,
it is just a nice way to get the ball rolling. You can <ctrl><alt><f2>
to the next tty and login as root right then yourself and reboot again,
now skipping the firstboot process and nothing will be broken in the
system -- you will just have to manually add the first user because GDM
will not have a method available for you to log in now (I believe root
logins through GDM are disabled by default still?).

Anyway, your options are to disregard creating that firstboot prompted
user (a prompt I rarely see since I tend to install across the network
via PXE boot -- which boots to a text configurature for networking and
some other things, and then boots to runlevel 3 by default with no user
accounts created) or just create a trash user account you won't use or
delete later. Its up to you, really -- none of the useradd schenanigans
you play are going to hurt the system in any way as long as they are >=
500 on Fedora and >= 1000 on Debian.