Re: Terminal in Gnome 3?? Main Menu???

On Mon, 06 Jun 2011 12:06:55 -0500, Steven Stern wrote:
	[...]
> Alt-F2, type "gnome-terminal".

	Hey, there's a neat trick! And it works in other distros, too! I
never knew that. It'd've gotten me out of lots of tight places if I had.
It reminds me of Kafka's Landarzt: "Man weiss nicht, was man im eigenen
Hause vorr"atig hat."

> You may want to add it to the dock.

	Errr... Duhhh... Whassa dock? I'm on dry land.

	Seriously, I'll guess you mean something like what's at

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dock_(computing) --

which I'd call a pretty sad excuse for a workspace switcher.

	I'd ask how to add to it, but that I don't see any such thing on
my laptop. So much of the screen, and so many of the whoosama-whatchits
that come and go, are all deep black, though, that I can't swear it isn't
there. Is there a way to make the login screen take you to a version with
practical colors?

> Ain't no main menu in Gnome 3 -- Just an applications heap.

	Really? Like those gawdawful Windows desktops, that Lesser Breeds
Without the Linux (LBWL) suffer under, the ones cluttered all over with
things neither sweet nor violet? (The otherwise excellent Puppy Linux
gets no space on my machines, just because it panders to that distressing
habit.) Such a heap (if I ever even get to it!)  may stop me right there.
O tempora. o mores!

> If you install, I strongly suggest avant-windows-navigator.

	Again I'll guess: something like what I see at

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avant_Window_Navigator -- n'est-ce pas?

	What a sad comedown from an eminently useful workspace switcher
on a panel -- which has the great if underrated virtue that I can give it
enough spaces to keep several normally empty. That helps to separate my
routine apps, so that I don't have to hunt them; my fingers take me
there, without requiring conscious attention (which would distract me
miserably from whatever I'm doing). There seem to be several of us on
this list who make it a sine qua non. We may end up with Lxde, or Xfce,
or even <gasp!> KDE 4, which does have something like a workspace
switcher.

	I can also appropriate certain of the workspace aswitcher's empty
spaces for nonce apps at such times as I have a use for one. But I bet
there are no strategic spaces in the heap, nor any way to introduce them.
Or are there?

	However that may be, between those wikipedia sites and others too
fierce to describe that they link to (such as "compositing," of which I
had remained blissfully innocent), you've certainly handed me a truly
bodacious bunch of clues. I thank you kindly for that. [The
senectoflatulocrat trudges despondently off stage left, craving beer]