Re: Gnome shell and NVidia binary drivers

On Thu, Jun 02, 2011 at 10:53:09AM +0300, Pasha R wrote:

> After log in, gnome shell draws its top bar, but after that
> it simply stops drawing anything on screen. If I launch terminal, I
> can see that mouse pointer changes when it goes in and out of terminal
> window, but window itself can not be seen.
> After sometime it displays "sad terminal" icon with a message "Oh no!
> Something has gone wrong. A problem has occurred and the system can't
> recover. Please log out and try again".
> Are NVidia drivers supported by Gnome 3?

1) The rpmfusion (kmod or akmod) install does not get rid of the nouveau
   kernel modules as expected. You MUST run dracut to create a new
   initramfs file before rebooting. Only then are the nouveau modules
   unloaded.

2) There still seems to be something wrong because something akin
   to what Pasha wrote happens in my case also.
   I get to the login screen. I can login and the full gnome 3 desktop
   appears (blue striped wallpaper + top bar with all the necessary
   entries). But thats it. No activity at all. I can press the windows
   key nothing happens, position the mouse cursor on the user name and
   click but no menu drops down, etc. The screen is frozen.
   I can only logout with ctrl-alt-backspace.

So can their be some kind of conflict between the nvidia drivers and
the gnome 3 shell. Is it possible that selinux is involved in this
somehow.

I really would like to solve this because I have wasted enough time
trying to get this working. Any help would be appreciated.

Alexander