Re: Gnome shell and NVidia binary drivers

On 06/02/2011 03:53 PM, Pasha R wrote:
> I'm running F15 on Dell Latitude D620 Laptop with NVidia NVS 110M
> video card. So far I used it with nouveau drivers and while it ran
> fairly well, I experienced sometimes glitches - screen becoming white
> or otherwise unreadable. So, I tried to install NVidia drivers from
> RPMFusion. After log in, gnome shell draws its top bar, but after that
> it simply stops drawing anything on screen. If I launch terminal, I
> can see that mouse pointer changes when it goes in and out of terminal
> window, but window itself can not be seen.
> After sometime it displays "sad terminal" icon with a message "Oh no!
> Something has gone wrong. A problem has occurred and the system can't
> recover. Please log out and try again".
> Are NVidia drivers supported by Gnome 3?
> Should I file bug for this? And if yes - to RedHat bugzilla or to Gnome?

I've just installed the nvidia drivers from RPMfusion as well.  Running
F15-x86_64.  I've got a GeForce GT 230.

After the install, I still had to use dracut to recreate the initramfs
with the nouveau driver blacklisted.  Thought the install was going to
take care of that...but it didn't.

Anyway, my reason for doing this was that I wanted to run GNOME 3 in a
Vbox guest.  In order to do that you need to enable 3D in the display
section.  The Vbox guest would crash when bringing up the GNOME Shell.
No problems with the nVidia drivers.

But, to answer your question.....  GNOME shell runs just fine on my system.

I normally run KDE and I will have to say the nVidia drivers do perform
better than nouveau.  The shading is better as well as the desktop
effects and transitions.  But, nouveau is getting better every release.

Whatever you do, don't file a bugzilla about nVidia drivers on
Redhat/Fedora.  It is specifically *UNSUPPORTED*.