Re: local IMAP server

On Wed, 2011-05-25 at 22:42 +0200, Lewis NH2 wrote:
> I plan to go for fetchmail to retrieve the email from the ISP and
> dovecot to provide the local IMAP server. Now I am a bit unsure about
> the setup. As far as I can see, it seems that most solutions found on
> the net involves a 3rd agent, for instance procmail.
>
> Is it possible to go only with fetchmail and dovecot?

Yes, I've done that for years, and still am.  Fetchmail gets my mail
about every 9 minutes, continuously[*].  However, with that simple two
process approach, all your mail just waits in your inbox.

If, you do add in the third handler, it can sort your mail into
different folders, as it comes in.  Otherwise, you'd sort through your
inbox using your mail client, which can be annoying, and tedious to
manage when you use various different mail clients on different
computers.

* Each user has a ~/.fetchmailrc script which lists mail server
addresses to poll, along with usernames and passwords.  And you can put
command lines into /etc/rc.local to start fetchmail working in daemon
mode when the server boots up.

/etc/rc.local:
su tim -c "/usr/bin/fetchmail -d 900"
su user2 -c "/usr/bin/fetchmail -d 1200"
su user3 -c "/usr/bin/fetchmail -d 1500"

I picked different poll intervals to spread the load out.  If you use
prime numbers, you're quite unlikely to have multiple polls at the same
time.

~/.fetchmailrc:
poll example.com proto pop3 user "postmaster@xxxxxxxxxxx" with password "gvkhierughcjkc", is "tim" here;
poll example.com proto pop3 user "webmaster@xxxxxxxxxxx" with password "asdfjht4hxfdy798342", is "tim" here;

The .fetchmailrc file has a rather nice way of letting you fill in
details with almost human syntax, and is flexible in letting you specify
it in different ways.

If a user requires their mail to be fetched immediately, they can type
"fetchmail" into a command line, and it'll get mail now, and go back to
polled intervals, automatically, afterwards.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.