Re: Protected WLAN

On Tuesday 24 May 2011 00:00:47 JD wrote:
> On 05/23/11 15:41, Tim Smith wrote:

> >> You did not show the part where I said that
> >> my router's BSSID and the nets SSID are in
> >> wpa_supplicant.conf.
> >> So, I am asking how come the wpa_supplicant
> >> is not aiming it's probe directly at that BSSID
> >> and SSID coded in the config file? It seems to
> >> me that it should do that.

> > Seriously. wpa_supplicant won't do that unless you change that
> > parameter. Though of course you don't say whether that parameter is
> > set, so you might have it set and I didn't know that, in which case it
> > seems like you might have found a bug in wpa_supplicant (I'm assuming
> > you have a sniffer trace of the probe request off the air to verify
> > this. Call me old-fashioned and paranoid but I never *quite* trust a
> > program's own debug output without independent verification :-)
> >
> > > From /usr/share/doc/wpa_supplicant-0.6.8/wpa_supplicant.conf:
> > # scan_ssid:
> > #       0 = do not scan this SSID with specific Probe Request frames
> > (default) #       1 = scan with SSID-specific Probe Request frames
> > (this can be used to #           find APs that do not accept broadcast
> > SSID or use multiple SSIDs; #           this will add latency to
> > scanning, so enable this only when needed)
>
> My conf file for my net has
> scan_ssid=1
>
> So, does that mean it will/will not send the ssid as part of the probe?

According to its documentation, it will be doing that. If it isn't then
either the documentation or the program is wrong. The source for 0.6.10
looks like it's doing the right thing there (just had a quick look, not a
detailed inspection).

OTOH, a quick check with 0.6.8 and a sniffer reveals that this is badly
bugged there - the probe request comes out with non-broadcast SSID all right
but it's complete gibberish. I'm not sure whose fault that is though. It
could easily be the rather odd driver I'm using there - it's not production
code because I'm normally mucking with the wireless chip firmware in rude
and interesting ways.

Definitely worth checking with a sniffer to see what your system is doing...

--
But while the ant gathered food, the grasshopper contracted to a point on a
manifold that was NOT a 3-sphere...