Re: Adblock Plus add-on for FireFox

On 05/16/11 21:47, g wrote:
> On 05/16/2011 07:29 PM, JD wrote:
> <>
>
>> Is there an alternative implementation of java that
>> will prevent  java and javascript websites from touching
>> out files and directories?
> java is java. unless it is ms java. :)
>

> along with being a linux bigot, i am an advocate of mozilla.
>
> i started with netscape 1.03, iirc, and moved into firefox when it
> first came out.
>
> along the way, i installed 'NoScript' when it came out and i have
> enjoyed it ever sense.
>
> therefore, i recommend you install it;
>
>   download:
>     https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/noscript/
>
>   homepage:
>     http://noscript.net/
>
> go thru configurations to disable java and java script. [using both names
> because some twit tried to explain to me differences and impress me with
> his degree and a bunch of other crap he was proud of.]
>
> you can also 'white list' sites, and a bunch of other helpful settings,
> especially in the 'advanced' settings, to protect firefox and your system
> and make browsing more enjoyable.
>

> once installed, you can customize the toolbar to add 2 NoScript icons to
> temporarily allow all of a page and revoke temporarily permissions, which
> i use for sites that i know.
>
> you will note along right side of firefox's lower window bar, a little circle
> with an 's'.
>
> this is to allow various things like page, other sites, flash, and such. all
> of which is controlled in 'options' settings.
>
> many windows users who use firefox will tell you that you have to use
> 'adblock plus', but i have found that that is not entirely true.
>
> noscript has done a great job and until someone proves to me [which will
> not be an ms windows user] that i have to use 'adblock plus', i will remain
> true to 'NoScript'.
>

> hth.
I had used it some time ago.
It makes watching youtube vids
impossible and youtube is one invasive site.
Actually so is google , and so is yahoo.
There are very few small time websites
that are not so invasive.
I was hoping for an implementation of java
that would indeed enforce the sandbox principle
and prevent all websites from sending scripts that
try to jump out of the sandbox.