Re: Best FOSS alternative for skype?

HI Kevin,

Well, yes - if we have this already in system - I won't lose it again
this opportunity. We all of the ambassadors have the SIP number on our
business card, and if I give it away - then I (we) would like to use
it. There is only 2 question has left:
The first - most of us has an mobile phone, and mobile handset - is
there any java based SIP client that can be binded with my Fedora?
Second one - this has the same capabilities as Asterisk?

CU,

Zoltan

PS: I would like to update the wiki, with this info,

2011/5/12 Kevin Fenzi <kevin@xxxxxxxxx>:
> On Thu, 12 May 2011 13:16:47 +0200
> Zoltan Hoppar <hopparz@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> Well guys,
>>
>> After we prefer freedom, and much easier to you and make meetings in
>> voice, and skype has been bought by MS.... We have an opportunity to
>> all fedora users keep contacted with each other.
>> I really would like to see an hassle free opportunity instead of
>> fighting with google talk/empathy/decoders and this renew can be our
>> glue inside the community. Also I think this phone server can be our
>> podcaster, and an tool not just for us users, else mentors, and
>> between other communities. I think it's time to expand this to other
>> distros, and let it cooperating with others through this, and we don't
>> need anymore skype. I know that one is still an closed network, and
>> many of our contact has been stayed because there are no other
>> possibility.
>>
>> So anything that I could do for this, to be resurrected - I'll be
>> here. Let it be the newest feature for F16, an be promoted as a
>> possibility, and we don't need skype at all.
>
> Yes, fedora talk has been retired.
>
> It was not used very much at all, and didn't have any interested folks
> willing to fix it and maintain it moving forward. ;(
>
> I'd suggest looking instead at Sip Witch:
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/SIP_Witch_Domain_Telephony
> (added as a feature in f13)
>
> This basically allows you to run your own sip server and let others
> connect to it to talk to you.
>
> kevin
>
> --

PGP:Â 06853DF7