Re: Dealing with e-mail attachments with names containing spaces.

On Tue, 2011-04-26 at 16:46 -0500, Aaron Konstam wrote:
> On Tue, 2011-04-26 at 11:23 -0430, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> > On Tue, 2011-04-26 at 09:23 -0500, Aaron Konstam wrote:
> > > If you get an e-mail whose attachment has spaces in its name one has
> > > problems dealing with the attachment in Linux. I found a way to deal
> > > with them (such as open a pdf file attachment) but I wonder is anyone
> > > has a more coherent way to deal with them than I have found.
> > >
> > > My way is somewhat hoakie. I am using evolution to read mail.
> >
> > You don't explain what these problems are, nor what your solution to
> > them is, so your question is rather hard to address.
> >
> > poc
> >

> Ok, I thought the problem is obvious. It is the same problem one has if
> you apply any Linux program to such a file.
> In this case the attachment file was: Konstam plan description.pdf
>
> When I try to open it with Adobe Reader it tried to open a file called
> Konstam which it claimed was a Binary file.

Still very unclear. You really need to describe exactly what you're
doing and what happens. I just checked and I can both send and receive
an attachment called "foo bar" using Evo. In fact I also sent it to
myself from Gmail and opened it using Evo with no issues.

So the problem isn't with spaces in the name, as you seem to imply. If
Adobe Reader claims "Konstam" is a binary file, my first reaction is to
ask why it's opening "Konstam" and not "Konstam plan description.pdf",
which is the file's actual name and which should work in any Linux
program.

My second reaction is to wonder whether the call to Adobe is actually a
poorly-coded Shell script which doesn't allow for spaces in the name. If
so, that would be easy to fix.

My third reaction is that maybe you have a different file called
"Konstam" which Adobe can't open.

My fourth reaction is that maybe someone sent the file without the
proper MIME Content-Type header, which could explain part of the problem
but not all of it.

However all of this is hypothetical without more information.

poc