Re: How to use rpm to install adobe-flash?

On Fri, Apr 15, 2011 at 12:28 AM, Suvayu Ali
<fatkasuvayu+linux@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi Joel,

>> > How does this change when flash is installed as the regular user?
>>
>> From what I said about not using su or sudo when logged in to an
>> account you surf the web from, you understand that I mean that the
>> user does not even use su or sudo to do the final step of copying
>> flash where it goes?
>
> I think I follow where we were differing. I didn't realise you also
> meant no "administration related tasks" are done from the regular
> account in question. Of course in that case it is definitely safer.

Exactly.

> So your objection is definitely a valid point but it is not specific to
> flash. Its a general principle of not exposing your administrative
> password to user accounts that might have been infected by the outside
> world.

The principle is general, sure, but the application to Flash is
specific -- that the plugin should go in the .mozilla/plugins folder
of each user that uses it, and nowhere else.

It's not as good as having a separate box for the bank, but separate
accounts are not as bad as using the same account for posting to (say)
Digg or slashdot and for logging in to the bank.

Leaving Flash out of the account you log into the bank with
strengthens the walls against the un-foreseen accidents.

Likewise, if you don't have Flash loaded in the account you usually
use to do admin tasks, you have a little more breathing room when
you're checking the docs while you tweak the system, without using a
separate computer.

> Am I understanding this correctly? I guess we often make choices
> between convenience over security. It usually depends on the context
> and the administrator of the system whether it is an acceptable choice.

True. It's a little inconvenient.

In fact, if you have 138 users on the company network, and you have to
set up multiple accounts for each one, installing and updating Flash
and other brick-brack on some accounts and not on others, maybe you
have to decide between writing a script to handle the install across
the LAN and just installing/updating one global location.

For personal and family machines, however, I prefer the local install,
since the kids insist on having it.