Re: Yum wierdness

On 4/11/2011 6:35 PM, Kevin J. Cummings wrote:
> On 04/11/2011 02:59 AM, Mike Dwiggins wrote:
>> I upgraded a working F13 x86_64 to F14 x 86_64 from a downloaded DVD
>> which verified and then went to do a "yum update" after the upgrade from
>> the DVD.
>>
>> I am getting the following message:
>>
>> "http://linuxdownload.adobe.com/linux/i386/repodata/repomd.xml:  [Errno
>> 14] PYCURL ERROR 6 - " "
>> Trying other mirror.
>> Error: Cannot retrieve repository metadata (repomd.xml) for repository
>> adobe-linux-i386.  Please verify its path and try again"
>>
>> Any ideas what went wrong and why I am looking for i386 updates?
> You are looking for an i386 update because yum is looking for an update
> for some RPM that is already installed on your system as an i386 RPM.
>
> You didn't including the command line you used with yum (or did you use
> some gui tool?).  Was this as a part of the DVD updgrade, I thought you
> said it was afterward, which would indicate that yum is looking for
> updates for *all* of your installed software.
>
> PYCURL ERROR 6 is one of those errors that comes from a "tool" yum is
> using to do some of its heavy lifting, and yum has decided to present
> you with the raw error message from that tool, instead of interpreting
> it for you.
>
> (Quality software, tastefully presented!)
>
> If you google "PYCURL ERROR 6", you will find lots of posts asking what
> it means.  Most of them allude to either a non-working network
> connection, or a missing target of an attempted download.
>
> So, from that I would gather that either your network isn't working, or
> the target file that yum was attempting to download
> (.../repodata/repomd.xml) could not be found on the server it attempted
> to download it from....
>
> If it is a transient error (at adobe.com), it should clear up after a
> while.  (Are you getting other files updated outside of this repo?)
>
> Does everything work OK if you disable the troublesome repo?

The command used was a simple "yum update".

The problem turned out to in fact be the network.  Somehow the upgrade
had caused Network Manager to be a "Dead Process" but had not destroyed
the cache.

Found this out when I opened the browser and the format of the home page
would come up but no content which got me looking at the Network Manager.

Thanks for the help all!

Mike