Re: f12

I will try to add more RAM to it. I have done the yum check ... Âall went OK ... but itÂdidn'tÂchange the behaviour. ÂThanks for your help.

# dmidecode 2.10
SMBIOS 2.3 present.
74 structures occupying 2320 bytes.
Table at 0x000F0450.

Handle 0xDA00, DMI type 218, 35 bytes
OEM-specific Type
ÂÂ Â Â ÂHeader and Data:
ÂÂ Â Â Â Â Â Â ÂDA 23 00 DA B2 00 17 0B 0E 38 00 58 00 58 00 01
ÂÂ Â Â Â Â Â Â Â00 59 00 59 00 01 00 05 80 05 80 01 00 FF FF 00
ÂÂ Â Â Â Â Â Â Â00 00 00

Handle 0xDA01, DMI type 218, 35 bytes
OEM-specific Type
ÂÂ Â Â ÂHeader and Data:
ÂÂ Â Â Â Â Â Â ÂDA 23 01 DA B2 00 17 0B 0E 38 00 10 F5 10 F5 00
ÂÂ Â Â Â Â Â Â Â00 11 F5 11 F5 00 00 12 F5 12 F5 00 00 FF FF 00
ÂÂ Â Â Â Â Â Â Â00 00 00

Handle 0x0000, DMI type 0, 20 bytes
BIOS Information
ÂÂ Â Â ÂVendor: Dell Inc. Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â
ÂÂ Â Â ÂVersion: A02
ÂÂ Â Â ÂRelease Date: 07/19/2004
ÂÂ Â Â ÂAddress: 0xF0000
ÂÂ Â Â ÂRuntime Size: 64 kB
ÂÂ Â Â ÂROM Size: 512 kB
ÂÂ Â Â ÂCharacteristics:
ÂÂ Â Â Â Â Â Â ÂPCI is supported
ÂÂ Â Â Â Â Â Â ÂPNP is supported
ÂÂ Â Â Â Â Â Â ÂAPM is supported
ÂÂ Â Â Â Â Â Â ÂBIOS is upgradeable
ÂÂ Â Â Â Â Â Â ÂBIOS shadowing is allowed
ÂÂ Â Â Â Â Â Â ÂBoot from CD is supported
ÂÂ Â Â Â Â Â Â ÂSelectable boot is supported
ÂÂ Â Â Â Â Â Â ÂEDD is supported
ÂÂ Â Â Â Â Â Â ÂJapanese floppy for Toshiba 1.2 MB is supported (int 13h)
ÂÂ Â Â Â Â Â Â ÂPrint screen service is supported (int 5h)
ÂÂ Â Â Â Â Â Â Â8042 keyboard services are supported (int 9h)
ÂÂ Â Â Â Â Â Â ÂSerial services are supported (int 14h)
ÂÂ Â Â Â Â Â Â ÂPrinter services are supported (int 17h)
ACPI is supported
ÂÂ Â Â Â Â Â Â ÂUSB legacy is supported
ÂÂ Â Â Â Â Â Â ÂLS-120 boot is supported
ÂÂ Â Â Â Â Â Â ÂBIOS boot specification is supported
ÂÂ Â Â Â Â Â Â ÂFunction key-initiated network boot is supported

Handle 0x0100, DMI type 1, 25 bytes
System Information
ÂÂ Â Â ÂManufacturer: Dell Inc. Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â
ÂÂ Â Â ÂProduct Name: Dimension 4700 Â Â Â Â Â Â ÂÂ
ÂÂ Â Â ÂVersion: Not Specified
ÂÂ Â Â ÂSerial Number: G15T81J
ÂÂ Â Â ÂUUID: 44454C4C-3100-1035-8054-C7C04F38314A
ÂÂ Â Â ÂWake-up Type: APM Timer

Handle 0x0200, DMI type 2, 8 bytes
Base Board Information
ÂÂ Â Â ÂManufacturer: Dell Inc. Â Â Â Â Â
ÂÂ Â Â ÂProduct Name: 0M3918
ÂÂ Â Â ÂVersion: Â Â
ÂÂ Â Â ÂSerial Number: ..CN7082148E050F.

Handle 0x0300, DMI type 3, 13 bytes
Chassis Information
ÂÂ Â Â ÂManufacturer: Dell Inc. Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â
ÂÂ Â Â ÂType: Mini Tower
ÂÂ Â Â ÂLock: Not Present
ÂÂ Â Â ÂVersion: Not Specified
ÂÂ Â Â ÂSerial Number: G15T81J
ÂÂ Â Â ÂAsset Tag: Â Â Â Â ÂÂ
ÂÂ Â Â ÂBoot-up State: Safe
ÂÂ Â Â ÂPower Supply State: Safe
ÂÂ Â Â ÂThermal State: Safe
ÂÂ Â Â ÂSecurity Status: None

Handle 0x0400, DMI type 4, 32 bytes
Processor Information
ÂÂ Â Â ÂSocket Designation: Microprocessor
ÂÂ Â Â ÂType: Central Processor
ÂÂ Â Â ÂFamily: Pentium 4
ÂÂ Â Â ÂManufacturer: Intel
ID: 34 0F 00 00 FF FB EB BF
ÂÂ Â Â ÂSignature: Type 0, Family 15, Model 3, Stepping 4
ÂÂ Â Â ÂFlags:
ÂÂ Â Â Â Â Â Â ÂFPU (Floating-point unit on-chip)
ÂÂ Â Â Â Â Â Â ÂVME (Virtual mode extension)
ÂÂ Â Â Â Â Â Â ÂDE (Debugging extension)
ÂÂ Â Â Â Â Â Â ÂPSE (Page size extension)
ÂÂ Â Â Â Â Â Â ÂTSC (Time stamp counter)
ÂÂ Â Â Â Â Â Â ÂMSR (Model specific registers)
ÂÂ Â Â Â Â Â Â ÂPAE (Physical address extension)
ÂÂ Â Â Â Â Â Â ÂMCE (Machine check exception)
ÂÂ Â Â Â Â Â Â ÂCX8 (CMPXCHG8 instruction supported)
ÂÂ Â Â Â Â Â Â ÂAPIC (On-chip APIC hardware supported)
ÂÂ Â Â Â Â Â Â ÂSEP (Fast system call)
ÂÂ Â Â Â Â Â Â ÂMTRR (Memory type range registers)
ÂÂ Â Â Â Â Â Â ÂPGE (Page global enable)
ÂÂ Â Â Â Â Â Â ÂMCA (Machine check architecture)
ÂÂ Â Â Â Â Â Â ÂCMOV (Conditional move instruction supported)
ÂÂ Â Â Â Â Â Â ÂPAT (Page attribute table)
ÂÂ Â Â Â Â Â Â ÂPSE-36 (36-bit page size extension)
ÂÂ Â Â Â Â Â Â ÂCLFSH (CLFLUSH instruction supported)
ÂÂ Â Â Â Â Â Â ÂDS (Debug store)
ÂÂ Â Â Â Â Â Â ÂACPI (ACPI supported)
ÂÂ Â Â Â Â Â Â ÂMMX (MMX technology supported)
ÂÂ Â Â Â Â Â Â ÂFXSR (Fast floating-point save and restore)
ÂÂ Â Â Â Â Â Â ÂSSE (Streaming SIMD extensions)
ÂÂ Â Â Â Â Â Â ÂSSE2 (Streaming SIMD extensions 2)
ÂÂ Â Â Â Â Â Â ÂSS (Self-snoop)
ÂÂ Â Â Â Â Â Â ÂHTT (Hyper-threading technology)
ÂÂ Â Â Â Â Â Â ÂTM (Thermal monitor supported)
ÂÂ Â Â Â Â Â Â ÂPBE (Pending break enabled)
ÂÂ Â Â ÂVersion: Not Specified
ÂÂ Â Â ÂVoltage: 1.8 V
ÂÂ Â Â ÂExternal Clock: 800 MHz
ÂÂ Â Â ÂMax Speed: 3600 MHz
ÂÂ Â Â ÂCurrent Speed: 3000 MHz
ÂÂ Â Â ÂStatus: Populated, Enabled
ÂÂ Â Â ÂUpgrade: ZIF Socket
ÂÂ Â Â ÂL1 Cache Handle: 0x0700
ÂÂ Â Â ÂL2 Cache Handle: 0x0701
ÂÂ Â Â ÂL3 Cache Handle: Not Provided
Cache Information
ÂÂ Â Â ÂSocket Designation: Not Specified
ÂÂ Â Â ÂConfiguration: Enabled, Not Socketed, Level 1
ÂÂ Â Â ÂOperational Mode: Write Back
ÂÂ Â Â ÂLocation: Internal
ÂÂ Â Â ÂInstalled Size: 16 kB
ÂÂ Â Â ÂMaximum Size: 16 kB
ÂÂ Â Â ÂSupported SRAM Types:
ÂÂ Â Â Â Â Â Â ÂOther
ÂÂ Â Â ÂInstalled SRAM Type: Other
ÂÂ Â Â ÂSpeed: Unknown
ÂÂ Â Â ÂError Correction Type: None
ÂÂ Â Â ÂSystem Type: Data
ÂÂ Â Â ÂAssociativity: 8-way Set-associative

Handle 0x0701, DMI type 7, 19 bytes
Cache Information
ÂÂ Â Â ÂSocket Designation: Not Specified
ÂÂ Â Â ÂConfiguration: Enabled, Not Socketed, Level 2
ÂÂ Â Â ÂOperational Mode: Varies With Memory Address
ÂÂ Â Â ÂLocation: Internal
ÂÂ Â Â ÂInstalled Size: 1024 kB
ÂÂ Â Â ÂMaximum Size: 1024 kB
ÂÂ Â Â ÂSupported SRAM Types:
ÂÂ Â Â Â Â Â Â ÂOther
ÂÂ Â Â ÂInstalled SRAM Type: Other
ÂÂ Â Â ÂSpeed: Unknown
ÂÂ Â Â ÂError Correction Type: Single-bit ECC
ÂÂ Â Â ÂSystem Type: Unified
ÂÂ Â Â ÂAssociativity: 8-way Set-associative

Handle 0x0800, DMI type 8, 9 bytes
Port Connector Information
ÂÂ Â Â ÂInternal Reference Designator: PARALLEL
ÂÂ Â Â ÂInternal Connector Type: None
ÂÂ Â Â ÂExternal Reference Designator: Not Specified
ÂÂ Â Â ÂExternal Connector Type: DB-25 female
ÂÂ Â Â ÂPort Type: Parallel Port PS/2

On Tue, Mar 8, 2011 at 7:47 PM, Patrick Bartek <bartek047@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
--- On Mon, 3/7/11, madunix@xxxxxxxxx <madunix@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Recently upgraded from Fedora 9 to Fedora 12 (upgrade
> procedure not
> fresh install) and Xorg appears to behave strange, cpu
> jumps to high
> utilization and Xorg getting 50% or more and swap
> keep increasing.
> Any suggestions.

Yes.

First, did you upgrade directly to 12 from 9 or incrementally--9->10->11->12? ÂIf the former, that can cause problems, so much so that Fedora doesn't recommend it. ÂIf the latter, you should be okay, but I've NEVER had good luck with upgrading--something ALWAYS gets screwed--and always do a clean install on another partition, dual booting with the previous install as a back up, which is what I did when I went from 9 to 12 on my 64-bit system. ÂI'm currently running 12 even though it is no longer supported. ÂAbsolutely, no problems. (I only upgrade every 3rd release anyway.)

> [snip]
>
> free
> Â Â Â Â Â
> ÂÂÂtotal Â
> ÂÂÂused Â
> ÂÂÂfree ÂÂÂsharedÂ
>  buffers ÂÂÂcached
> Mem:Â Â Â Â 500128Â
> ÂÂÂ489072Â Â Â 11056Â
> Â Â Â Â 0Â Â
> ÂÂÂ2724Â Â Â 95668
> -/+ buffers/cache:Â ÂÂÂ390680Â
> ÂÂÂ109448
> Swap:Â Â Â 1015800Â
> ÂÂÂ290360Â ÂÂÂ725440

You need more RAM! Â512MB isn't going to cut it. ÂMy 4GB system uses 531MB after booting to the GNOME desktop with only a terminal and file manager running. ÂAnd I run a "leaned out" system. ÂIf possible upgrade to 2GB. ÂI consider that a useful minimum for a contemporary Linux distro, not just Fedora, with KDE or GNOME desktops. ÂThat's what I started with on my 4 year old system: initially, Fedora Core 6 32-bit. ÂI later installed the 64-bit version dual booted.

To reduce RAM needs, go to System->Administration->Services and turn off all the services you don't need.

Also, try a "lighter" desktop like XFCE or LXDE, which I prefer. ÂOr just go with a window manager only. ÂI like Openbox.

Recompile the kernel with only what your system needs to reduce its size, and, therefore, RAM usage. ÂThis RAM saving option isn't for the faint of heart. ÂRTFM before trying this.

You didn't list the specs on your system. ÂIt would help to know that to give further recommendations.