Re: Good bye

On Wed, 30 Jan 2008, Terry Polzin wrote:

On Wednesday 30 January 2008 11:14:36 Karl Larsen wrote:
    I did a temporary setup of Ubuntu and started playing with it. I
signed up for their technical list and have talked with some very smart
people. Right now I am getting my little tv camera working with Skype. I
just talked to another Ham in GA on PSK31.

    These guys are not IT people for a company, they are Ubuntu users.
We get along just fine. I think the entire Fedora setup is bad. You must
like to fix your operating system to fit in. Change is the name of the
game.

    Well Ubuntu has arrived. It works in ways Fedora will never
understand. Good Bye.
IMHO Ubuntu is the distro that deserves Karl and the distro that Karl needs.

All of us on this list have wasted too much time and effort on him and his
issues.

have you used ubuntu? and I mean not just on a rainy weekend?
it has far better hardware support out of the box, not to mention 3 keystrokes and you can start to bring in the MM stuff US based distro Fedora gets narky at for even mentioning, by speedily repeating the
usual political lawyer yawn that most people laugh at.

Been running ubuntu now as well as fedora for several months, I consider it very stable for a desktop, very powerfull and feature rich, more feature rich than fedora, more stable and easy setup for laptops with
inbuilt and plugin pcmcia wireless cards, card readers and so on.

Based upon a large number of installs of both, I rate
fedora 6/10 and ubuntu 9/10 for desktops
fedora 4/10 and ubuntu 10/10 for laptops

I'd never been stupid enough to run either in a mission critical server
operation, that is still dominated by Slackware with a distant second to RHEL/CentOS

I have now, no more fedora laptops and as I type this on our very last fedora box which has been EOL'd for Feb.

A large part of the reason for EOL'ing all fedora is the bullshit politics, US-self-created-world-domination-laws-that-are-even-ignored-by-the-EU,
and lastly but by no means least, poor QC.