Re: SPARC Status

On Tue, Sep 18, 2012 at 8:20 AM, Fabio M. Di Nitto <fdinitto@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 9/17/2012 10:26 PM, Dennis Gilmore wrote:
> No one currently is working on Fedora SPARC, and hasnt been for
> quite some time. we would need to get gcc-4.7 bootstrapped as well
> as a few other bits and pieces. its work that I just do not have
> the time to do, I also do not have the interest that I used to
> have. I think its a bit of a disservice to say that Fedora SPARC is
> a secondary arch at this point. If people do not step up to get
> things fixed and working im planning to take down the SPARC koji
> instance and remove sparc support from fedora-packager.

Sadly I have to say that it is probably the wisest path.

Fabio

Hi,

It's not that I am not interested. I just don't have the time and hardware.
- A Sun Blade 150 is pretty painful to compile stuff on.
- Using the T4s and T5240s at work is not an option unless I create a logical domain aside the other ones, which doesn't work.
- Having a V240 at home is something any electricity company would support but is too expensive for end-users.

So yes, the possibilities are sort of limited and then there is the doing 60+ hours of work in a week on top of that.

Ironic enough we actually DO use Linux for Sparc here at the company. It was setup as there was no Intel hardware available and they needed Linux installations fast...

Patrick