Re: installing sparc F12

On Thu, Apr 22, 2010 at 11:54:01AM -0500, Dennis Gilmore wrote:
> On Thursday 22 April 2010 11:29:36 am Rafal Maszkowski wrote:
> > I almost have finished installing devel/sparc on E450. But can not
> > manage to finish dracut startup properly. I turned on debugging and
> > dracut shell but despite that after "Switching root" message and a long
> > wait the system gets rebooted.
> > dracut: Mounted root filesystem /dev/mapper/sys-root
> > dracut: Switching root
> > Restarting system.
> > Resetting ...
> > I wonder what is happening there.
> dracut is not finding your root filesystem correctly.  or its not able to find
> init on the root filesystem
> does init=/bin/bash appended get you a shell?
> you could also boot into resue mode and turn quiet off to get more debigging

Thanks for help. I knew how to replace init but I have forgotten that
this may be a good way to debug.

Surprisingly when I use bash instead of init everything looks normal
(dracut does not lie that it mounted the root fs) and I am able to
finish booting using  exec /sbin/init .

Now I try to use "rdshell rdinitdebug rdinfo debug selinux=0
root=/dev/sys/root init=/bin/bash" in silo and I got quite a lot of
debugging information but when I managed to run init by hand I hurried
to revive all services on this machine, which were dead for two days.

I will try to continue the fight next week. I cannot keep the machine in
such unfinished state for long because the serial console is not always
reliable and in some cases break does not get to the "ok" prompt.

I gave up with GRUB2 but maybe I will try again. Actually I managed to
configure it somehow but I could not actually boot the disk. But maybe
it was not the GRUB2 fault because I got the same problem when I moved
to SILO. I tried to  boot disk, disk:a, disk:b, disk1 etc. without
success. In despair I even tried to use something what GRUB2 has shown
me when I was struggling with configuring it - lines like
(/pci@1f\,4000/scsi@3/disk@0\,033333333333333333333333333F��������������)	/dev/sda

So I tried to
boot /pci@1f,4000/scsi@3/disk@0,0:33333333333333333333333333F
and... it worked. It looks like nonsense but for now I have set this in
PROM. How this E450 really understands "33333333333333333333333333F"?
Just as "f"? Or as a whole disk? Very strange. My /boot partition is
just /dev/sda1 (no RAID/LVM on this disk).

I am used to use /proc/openprom but it is empty on my machine. I have
modprobed openpromfs but it did not help.

I was reporting dependencies problems with dwdiff. Probably it was
compiled with slightly older version of the libraries. I was able to
compile and install the F12 RPM from devel/source.

R.
--
	Uniwersytet katolicki to oksymoron udający tautologię.