Re: Any updates to the project status ?

On Sunday 14 February 2010 04:39:55 pm Mr. James W. Laferriere wrote:
>  	Hello All ,
>
>  	The last item on the maillist in Dec-2009 was a response from Spot &
> Dennis to Tom Williams concerning 'might have some "install Aurora, yum
> update" recipes that work...'
>
>  	Which Dennis replied to with some recipes at ...
> http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/sparc/2009-August/042179.html
>
>  	Has there been any further recipes and or progress ?
>
>  	Having dropped the old Aurora list (well no one seems to use it) ,  I
> finally found you guys here .
>
>  		Tia ,  JimL
sorry for being slow to respond

the current status is that we have most of F-12 built,  some packages in the
sparc tree are newer to pick up needed bug fixes,  like gcc. i made some
install isos last week,  i found that NetworkManager is giving a sigbus
unless you do no probe and anually start udev, hal, and NetworkManager  you
have to bring up the interface before NetworkManager will start.  once i got
the network up and started a install i got tracebacks during partitioning.

We are making good progress

Having at least 2 more niagara based boxes as builders would help a lot.

if people wanted to help with things debugging why NetworkManager is giving a
SIGBUS would be great.   and going through koji build failures and fixing
issues would be great also
http://sparc.koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/builds?state=3&order=-completion_time
will give you the most recent failures.

the last isos we have that you can install from are
http://secondary.fedoraproject.org/pub/fedora-secondary/releases/test/9-
Beta/Fedora/sparc/iso/  you should do a minimal install
then get rpm from dist-f10 in koji followed by rpm in dist-f11  along with
their needed deps.  you should then be able to yum update to the development
tree and go from there.  the rpm steps are needed as rpms made with the
current rpm are incompatiable with the older F-9 rpm

Some things we know going forward.

Netboot wont work. the tftp images are just too big there is a 10Mb hardware
limitation on them right now we are double that. stripping it down like we did
for teh F-9 images still is ~16Mb. At this point you will need to pull the
harddrive and set it up manulally to boot the installer if you dont have
optical drives.  I'm planning to create a image that you could dd on from any
machine that will let you get started. i.e it would have silo installed and
configured along with the kernel and initrd.  the other option is for someone
to step up and write a network capable boot loader.

Java seems to be working well

The mono stack is in pretty bad shape. i'm tempted to completely drop it from
sparc.

Dennis