Re: Failing Unicode check in perl-Prima

On Wed, 6 Sep 2023 12:26:44 +0200 Petr Pisar wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I observer a Unicode check failure in fedora-ci.koji-build.rpminspect.static-analysis test on
> perl-Prima-1.70-1.fc40 package in Fedora CI
> <https://bodhi.fedoraproject.org/updates/FEDORA-2023-54d3e14b6e>:
>
>     A forbidden code point, 0x202D, was found in the
>     Prima-1.70/Prima/Drawable/Glyphs.pm source file on line 999 at column 3.
>     This source file is used by perl-Prima.spec.
>
>     Suggested remedy:
>
>     The rpminspect configuration file contains a list of forbidden Unicode
>     code points. One was found in the extracted and patched source tree or in
>     one of the text source files in the source RPM. Either remove this code
>     point or discuss the situation with the Product Security Team to determine
>     the correct course of action.
>
> This is an excerpt from the Glyphs.pm file:
>
>    995  =for latex-makedoc cut
>    996
>    997     use Prima;
>    998     $::application-> begin_paint;
>    999     $::application-> text_shape_out('אפס123', 0,0);
>   1000
>   1001     123ספא
>   1002
>   1003  =for latex-makedoc cut
>
> As you can see it's a text from a documentation in POD format. The
> documentation is interleaved with a Perl code.
>
> I classify the test finding a false positive because Fedora rpminspect policy
> excludes documentation files. Though rpminspect cannot split a documentation
> from a code in a single file.
>
> I tried to disable the unicode check with a local rpminspect.yaml file, but
> rpminspect insists on security checks not to be overrided be pacakge:
>
> $ rpminspect -c /usr/share/rpminspect/fedora.yaml -T unicode perl-Prima-1.70-1.fc40.src.rpm
> rpminspect: *** ignoring 'unicode' section in /tmp/rpminspect.yaml; only allowed in system-wide configuration
>

> My questions:
>
> Do you agree it's a false positve?
> Can you sanction ammending Fedora rpminspct policy with:
>
> 	unicode:
> 		ignore:
> 			# 0x202D character used on purpose to demonstrate RLE in
> 			# a documentation.
> 			- Prima-*/Prima/Drawable/Glyphs.pm

Cases like this are handled by adding suppression rules define in the
security directory of the rpminspect-data package:

https://github.com/rpminspect/rpminspect-data-fedora/tree/main/security

You can find few rules for the unicode inspection there.  Open a PR to
add new entries.

--
Tomas Hoger / Red Hat Product Security