Re: Preparing openvpn3 packaging for review - openssl challenges

On 19/02/2020 11:33, Tomas Mraz wrote:
> On Wed, 2020-02-19 at 11:06 +0100, David Sommerseth wrote:
>> On 19/02/2020 08:25, Tomas Mraz wrote:
>> [...snip...]
>>
>> [...snip...]

>>> No, the second call is not correct. Basically there should be no
>>> call
>>> to SSL_CTX_set_cipher_list() unless the user explicitly wants to
>>> override the defaults. The default in Fedora is already sane and
>>> safe
>>> and ensures the crypto policy is properly applied.
>>
>> I brought your argument up internally, and added Arne Schwabe on Cc
>> as he
>> knows both OpenVPN and OpenSSL and how they integrate even better.
>>
>> We understand and agree that the system running OpenVPN should be
>> able to
>> define the defaults and avoid hard-coding it.  But we explicitly want
>> remove any non-PFS compliant ciphers (like kDH, kECDH, kRSA), which
>> in most
>> cases makes the setup stricter than the system
>> configuration.  Currently we
>> see that Fedora's default ciphers allow some non-DH/ECDH and non-PFS
>> capable
>> ciphers.
>>
>> Another aspect is that since OpenVPN is talking strictly to other
>> OpenVPN
>> capable products (where SoftEther is the only product we're aware of
>> not being
>> under the fold of OpenVPN Inc or the OpenVPN community).  This
>> results in
>> OpenVPN being able to further reduce the available ciphers further
>> than the
>> more standard TLS defaults, thus increasing the security level of the
>> TLS
>> channel for the VPN tunnel.
>>
>> At the same time we also see the argument where someone wants an even
>> stricter
>> set of ciphers.  In OpenVPN 2, we have that capability via --tls-
>> cipher and
>> --tls-ciphersuites (for TLSv1.3).  I do see that OpenVPN 3 lacks
>> these
>> options, but that is something we are looking into.
>
> This would not be an issue if these options are used only when user
> explicitly configures them.

OpenVPN 2.x does a similar call today, and has done it since at least the
early days in v2.3 (February 2012) - possibly even longer (the source tree
changed a lot from 2.3, so didn't try to follow the code any more than this).

This cipher list has gradually become stricter and stricter over the years,
and is nowadays fairly similar to what we have in OpenVPN 3.  That is, this
OpenVPN default setting will be overridden if the user adds --tls-ciphers to
their config with a list of allowed ciphers.  And we normally discourage users
from setting their own list of TLS ciphers.

>> If there is a better way to narrow down the list of ciphers we allow
>> in
>> OpenVPN instead of replacing the cipher list, that would be even
>> better from
>> our point of view.  We are really reluctant to implicitly open up for
>> ciphers
>> which reduces the security level of OpenVPN, where PFS ability is a
>> critical
>> part of the ciphers being used.
>
> You can use "PROFILE=SYSTEM" instead of "DEFAULT" as a start. However
> this special string is downstream-only.

It's a pity that this is Fedora (and possibly RHEL?) specific.  But that is
something we can use.  Do you know if any other distros than Fedora/RHEL have
taken this approach?  Just wondering if I should just do the patching in the
.spec file, or add some build-time macros in the upstream OpenVPN 3 project.
If it is only Fedora/RHEL, it makes it hard to push for an upstream OpenVPN 3
change.

--
kind regards,

David Sommerseth