Re: restricting the scope of CA certificates

On Fri, 2016-06-03 at 10:24 +0200, Florian Weimer wrote:
> On 06/03/2016 09:13 AM, Nikos Mavrogiannopoulos wrote:
> >
> > If you are of the types who like tinkering, here is a way to
> > restrict
> > CA certificates in your Fedora on specific domains. Currently
> > limited
> > to gnutls applications.
> >
> > http://nmav.gnutls.org/2016/06/restricting-scope-of-ca-certificates
> > .html
> Is there also a way to do the opposite, that is, list which CAs are
> permitted to issue certificates for certain parts of the DNS tree?

If your question is whether it is doable, then the answer is yes. One
would need to traverse all existing certificates in the trust module
and use the name constraints extension. In terms of gnutls API you'd
probably like to use call gnutls_x509_crt_import_url() with
the GNUTLS_PKCS11_OBJ_FLAG_OVERWRITE_TRUSTMOD_EXT flag on all the
certificate objects in the trust module, and sort their name
constraints. There is no tool for that though.

However, I'd bet that most CAs in that list have no constraints.

regards,
Nikos