Re: Anaconda 22.17+ enforces "good" passwords

On 22 February 2015 at 22:48, Chris Murphy <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I'm noticing that Fedora depends on the user passworld, plus a salt,
and the glibc sha512-crypt.c default of 5000 rounds through SHA512, to
create the hash found in /etc/shadow.

The main issue that occurs when you change the 5000 rounds is running into mixed environments. You quickly find that while the password format has a format which allows for you to set the number of rounds.. a lot of places assume that 5000 is what is being used. You then have the "I can't login to X" where X is some addon to the Oracle/SAP/etc system and you can't do your vacation time. To deal with that is a larger issue than just the security team in that you need to say "We realize that the product change is going to affect usage in non-Fedora-only environment.

OS X 10.10 has been out some months and hashcat doesn't have OS X
10.10 support yet, and they distinguish between each major OS X
version 10.4 through 10.9. Clearly Apple changes there hashing method
between each OS X release.

Sometimes they do.. sometimes they don't. The main issue is where the password is stored and the format it is stored in versus the method. [They used the same method for a couple but changed how it looked.] They can't change it too much because they have to deal with the fact that user X has a MacOS-X 10.9 and 10.10 box and may need to work in an environment where box A and B are using the same password.

--
Stephen J Smoogen.