Re: About sshd(8) PermitRootLogin=no

On Thu, Dec 04, 2014 at 10:00:54AM -0500, Miloslav Trmač wrote:
> For 1), just use the BIOS password and boot into single-user mode
> (which then must be configured not to ask for a password), or perhaps
> into a special variant of the standard multi-user mode (so that
> networking and the IPA client works) with an unauthenticated root
> shell open. This would break for servers with no or difficult
> physical access and no KVM/serial console set up; is that a frequent
> and significant case?

I don't think it's a significant use case for servers that aren't being
installed via kickstart, where there's the opportunity to configure or
open up _whatever_.

> For 2), use the same user name you use on the host or your other
> computers, and set up sudo to give this user in the guest full
> control. This could, if we can automate the sudo part, even be more
> convenient: “ssh hostname” now works without having to prepend root@,
> or having to add such a configuration to ssh_config.

We already pretty much do this.

> So I guess the long-term ideal would be to stop talking about the
> “root password” altogether (i.e. have an anaconda install end up with
> root password authentication disabled, and for “the” administrator,
> set up sudo to be authenticated with their own, not root’s
> nonexistent, password), and to stop recommending _any_ log ins
> directly to the root account. That would also implicitly resolve the
> sshd discussion.

Yes, although I'd argue that in this case it's _more_ important to set
the default to deny, because if everyone assumes that root just can't
get in, it's a cheap back-door to just set a password and hope no one
notices.

--
Matthew Miller
<mattdm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>