Re: crypto policies for F21 without SSL 3.0?

On 2014-11-19 09:58, Nikos Mavrogiannopoulos wrote:
With that in mind, does it make sense to update the policies to remove
SSL 3.0, or should we wait until F22?

In Mozilla's infrastructure, our recommendation is to disable SSLv3 by default everywhere, and only enable it when the service explicitly needs backward compatibility with very old clients.

In our guidelines, the default level 'intermediate' disables SSLv3.
https://wiki.mozilla.org/Security/Server_Side_TLS#Recommended_configurations

We found that a small number of services need backward compatibility:
* mozilla.org, because we still see traffic coming from Windows XP pre-sp3
* supporting sites of mozilla.org for the same reason
* irc.mozilla.org, because of very old IRC clients

These follow the 'old' configuration guidelines, which enables SSLv3.

My experience is that no service needs SSLv3 by default. If a service needs SSLv3, operators should be able to detect it, and configure it. Having logs that indicate a handshake failure because the client did not support the required protocols is a great help to operators.

- Julien