Re: Security update process without CVEs

Hi Dan!

On Wed, 22 Jan 2014 09:30:09 -0500 Dan Scott wrote:

> Per the recent thread on fedora-devel [1], I've pushed
> perl-MARC-Record-1.02 [2] following upstream's security release before
> they had a CVE in hand.

It is not that uncommon to see update pushed to stable without having
CVE assigned.  In cases such as yours, when maintainer immediately acts
after seeing upstream announcement and builds Fedora updates, update
may reach stable before CVE is assigned.

> Now upstream has a CVE (CVE-2014-1626), so if you want to create a
> security tracking bug and link up bodhi etc to follow the security
> process [3], please go ahead!

In an other mail sent to the list few minutes ago, I briefly explained
how security issue reporting works in Fedora.  If we see that Fedora
update fixing some issue is already built and pushed to or on the way
to stable repositories, we may skip creating bugs for the issue if no
other product is affected.  We may fail to spot update that is build
but not yet in stable, so you may see tracker created.

As for updating Bodhi request, we may not be able to do that.  Bodhi
checks commit ACL for the package and use that to determine if someone
can create or update update request for the component.  In practice,
that implies that folks who are not in the proven_packager group can
not change your update request.  E.g. if I try to edit your requests
for perl-MARC-XML only to mention the CVE in the update description,
Bodhi refuses to save my edits because I'm not on the package commit
ACL.

Feel free to update descriptions of those update requests to include
the CVE.  That may help users and sites that aggregate info on security
updates.

--
Tomas Hoger / Red Hat Security Response Team