Re: fedoraproject.org on Malware Domain List

On Sun, 17 Nov 2013 08:24:43 -0800
Rohan Sheth <rohan@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Sun, Nov 17, 2013, at 06:50 AM, Manuel Faux wrote:
> > I just recognized the entry "||fedoraproject.org^" on the
> > AdBlockPlus/Easylist Malware domain list [0]. Is there any
> > explanation for this, so far?
>
> It is also listed on the OpenDNS Umbrella security labs malware list.
> So anyone using OpenDNS and browsing to a variety of Fedora websites
> receives a block page.  I've opened a ticket with OpenDNS asking why
> this has happened.

As far I can tell, this was due to a 'website mailware' scanner site
detecting (falsely) that there was some malware string in the Fedora 19
desktop iso.

We have contacted that site yesterday and this morning (as of about 4
hours ago) have let us know that they have cleared the false
positive/entry from their database.

However, it seems many malware lists out there have not yet removed the
entry (some of them may only update daily). Hopefully things will be
cleared out soon.

This shows the fragility of using these 3rd party malware scanning
services... they seem to feed into a bunch of lists and a false
positive can linger for days. ;(

kevin