Re: cloud image updates (for f20 and beyond)

On 07/15/2013 09:16 PM, Josh Bressers wrote:

> [...]

Speaking as the SRT guy responsible for the RHT end of this fire drill
this is something we want to avoid in future, and some things are
already in progress, once I make some progress I was planning to talk
to the Fedora (and possibly others).

> So needing to respin images is almost certainly going to happen. I
> suspect there isn't going to be an easy way to define what that is
> though. Some people might care about local root issues, remote root
> is obviously bad no matter what. What about system level denial of
> service? The attack surface potential here is going to be REALLY
> high. Our challenge will be to think of this not as a normal
> distribution, but as a cloud image (which I'm currently not doing
> in my head).

One problem with AWS for example is even if you respin the image it
has a new AMI (Amazon Machine Instance) ID, so any systems launching
Fedora servers automatically will include that old AMI ID until it is
manually updated. Only people going through the Marketplace or
searching for "Fedora" will get the latest one.

> I'm unsure what I think about the concern with needing to boot an
> image to apply updates. This is true of a fresh install, no? This
> update problem will be dictated by what's running on an image at
> boot time.

In general we are safe here, the default images just have OpenSSH
exposed to the world, if that has a remote exploit we have much larger
problems than our cloud images (like .. everything on the planet being
hacked).

> Anyhow, I think this is a good conversation opener. If anyone has
> any ideas about what we should be worried about, thinking about, or
> if you have a clever idea, let us know.

I had thought about a stub RPM like "cloud-update" that could contain
cloud specific updates/etc, some problems crop up like do we do one
per service provider (since we can't reliably detect which provider
we're on without doing some potentially dangerous things), who
maintains it, how do we handle situations where we push out an
emergency update through the cloud-update thing and then push an
actual updated cloud image, we need to ensure the image and the
cloud-update don't conflict to name a few of the simpler problems.

- --
Kurt Seifried Red Hat Security Response Team (SRT)
PGP: 0x5E267993 A90B F995 7350 148F 66BF 7554 160D 4553 5E26 7993