Security Tracking Bugs

Hi,

In the CVE bugs the following wiki page is referred:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Security/TrackingBugs

>From a maintainer's point of view this page needs some improvements:

- larger parts are written in the conjunctive or future so that it is
not clear, whether the page describes the current procedure or just some
wish list for the future

- the page lacks of the description of the very specific tasks for the
maintainers

- some information is outdated and/or wrong - e.g. the description how
many tracking bugs are created

I took the opportunity to clarify some parts of this page and I also
added a section with step-by-step instructions for the maintainers:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Chkr/Drafts/Security/TrackingBugs

The changes between the original page and my draft can be reviewed here:

https://fedoraproject.org/w/index.php?title=User%3AChkr%2FDrafts%2FSecurity%2FTrackingBugs&diff=227140&oldid=227125

Most changes are just cosmetic nature and/or clarifies the process.
Nevertheless, it needs to be carefully reviewed.

There is one particular item I'd like to discuss:

I find the idea of having multiple tracking bugs quite helpful since it
really simplifies the maintainer's job: He can make full use of bodhi's
feature to close the bug reports automatically.

So I would suggest that either
a) the security engineer (who opens the security bugs) checks, which
Fedora branches are affected and creates the appropriate tracking bugs
or
b) the step-by-step section could contain the explicit suggestion that
the maintainer could (or should?) create the appropriate number of
tracking bugs for each release himself

I would prefer a), because it would make the work of the packagers
easier and the process of handling the CVE bugs more reliable since the
risk of missing to fix a specific branch is minimized.

So, what do you think?

Best regards,
Christian