Re: CPE information for Fedora packages useful?

Hi Silvio!

On Mon, 31 Jan 2011 19:21:39 +1100 Silvio Cesare wrote:

> Debian maintain a list of CPE inormation for packages on their
> security tracker
> http://svn.debian.org/wsvn/secure-testing/data/CPE/list

We currently do not use CPE names for security tracking in Fedora, so
I don't see an obvious benefit maintaining such list.  Can you explain
briefly how you use it for Debian security tracking and what benefits
it brings?

> This makes it relatively static except when packages are added or
> removed from the repository.

It's not that uncommon to see new packages added to Fedora repositories
even after the release of some Fedora version.

> In the past I generated an automatic mapping between packages in
> Debian and Fedora
> https://github.com/silviocesare/Equivalent-Packages/blob/master/NearestNeighbour/Debian5_Fedora13_Matches

I played a little more with this list and noticed few problems:
- quite a few Debian packages map to Fedora arptools or binclock.
  Probably packages with not much sources, where other file (license,
  configure) confuse your tool to match unrelated packages
- there does not seem to be a good way to list cases where multiple
  components contain the same sources.  In Fedora, mingw32-* packages
  are a good example, and the list often maps Debian package foo to
  Fedora package mingw32-foo, while there is Fedora package foo that
  should be similarly good match.  Another example is
  zlib:arm-gp2x-linux-zlib.

Did you review "unexpected matches" to see if the sources are really
similar, and how the match is picked when there are multiple "good
candidates"?

--
Tomas Hoger / Red Hat Security Response Team